Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

C-141/C-5

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Cargojet Adds Long-Range Freighters[/FONT]
Canadian freight airline Cargojet plans to add two 767-200ER freighter aircraft to its fleet in a sharp scaling up of capacity at the carrier.
Cargojet will lease the planes from Cargo Aircraft Management, a subsidiary of Cargo Holdings International. Delivery is scheduled in the second and third quarter of 2008.
The aircraft have a 100,000 pound payload capacity, a 67 percent increase over the company's current B727-200 planes. They have a maximum range of 5,000 nautical miles.
"We are very excited to be the first Canadian air cargo operator to introduce these newer generation, longer range, and more fuel efficient aircraft to our fleet," said Ajay K. Virmani, president and CEO of Cargojet.

I was under the impression that ABX was seeking more 767s. CHI is wholly owned by ABX, so it made sense for ABX to aquire these planes? What gives?

Actually, CHI is owned by ABX Holdings, as is ABX the airline. Cargojet has one or two 727s operating for BAX out of TOL, but I have no idea what else outside of BAX they may do. Supposedly, CHI and it's subsidiaries will be operated completely separately from ABX, so either CAM has had this deal in the works for some time, or they feel they can make more by leasing them to Cargojet than to ABX or to ATI. Either way, ABX Holdings will reap the benefit in the end. This should get interesting.... We're still supposed to get our first 767 in April or so. Not holding my breath on that, though.

Is this the 76-ER bird that ABX got from China that was a bait and switch. Rumors had it that if we did not buy the bird then we could kiss off any more 767 from them.

Is this the 76-ER bird that ABX got from China that was a bait and switch. Rumors had it that if we did not buy the bird then we could kiss off any more 767 from them.

I don't think it is. I think that one is for sale and will not be converted or used due to about a million theories. Those 767's are 2 of (I think) 5 that CHI had their hands on before the purchase. Along with a 757 that will be used by DHL out of MIA (I think, again). I don't know who (ATI or Capital) will be operating which or if both will get the type.

Your rumor of the bait and switch is one of the many I have heard so far. They have more 767-200's and another rumor floating around is we had to eat this one if want to purchase the others. For what these rumors are worth.

And I agree with 707 that there may be a short term for them or something else is in the works. If DHL will pony up on the ACMI %, I bet they would be in the DHL system. But they have 2 years until that comes around.

Last edited:
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Cargojet Adds Long-Range Freighters[/FONT]
Canadian freight airline Cargojet plans to add two 767-200ER freighter aircraft to its fleet in a sharp scaling up of capacity at the carrier.
Cargojet will lease the planes from Cargo Aircraft Management, a subsidiary of Cargo Holdings International. Delivery is scheduled in the second and third quarter of 2008.
The aircraft have a 100,000 pound payload capacity, a 67 percent increase over the company's current B727-200 planes. They have a maximum range of 5,000 nautical miles.
"We are very excited to be the first Canadian air cargo operator to introduce these newer generation, longer range, and more fuel efficient aircraft to our fleet," said Ajay K. Virmani, president and CEO of Cargojet.

I was under the impression that ABX was seeking more 767s. CHI is wholly owned by ABX, so it made sense for ABX to aquire these planes? What gives?

Shooter indicated they were 2 of the 767's CHI already had in the works. I don't know but think it possible. Also, ABX may not want to put aircraft into service outside of DHL and get into the whole 10% of business fight again prior to the arbitration on the current issue. That said, if DHL wanted the aircraft and had offered enough of a markup to make it worthwhile I'm sure they would be flying for DHL.

FYI,
Capital will operate the 757 out of MIA. We don't know when the other one will come on line but they say that there will be two of them. We have completed the training now and are just basically waiting on the acft. to be put into service. We did our training at Alteon (Boeing) down in MIA and the training they provided was top notch.

what does ABX currently do out of MIA?
Brasil?

ABX has many customers so destinations are ever-changing. Just this week MIA destinations were GUA-KIN-MBJ-GDL-BGI-POS-PAP-SJU. If I missed some, sorry. There are many more, so you never really know when an adhoc might pop up like the SJU. Many are scheduled.

Latest resources

Back