• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Checking wx too much

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Don't bother checking that stuff anymore if you wait till Oshkosk and get the new Lawrence 3000 or the Garmin 396 with terrrain and XM WX Nexrad uplinked satalitte image overlays with freezing levels, cloud tops, winds aloft, everything for 2500 bucks.

I just got the Echoflight GPS with all that stuff, Its nice. But toooooo many wires!!

The only thing I see potentially wrong with this is getting distrracted by a continuouisly running atis when in critical phases of flight. In the terminal area you should be focused on what the controllers are saying and flying the plane. Enroute though I say "to each his own". Yeah its a little strange but, Oh well. After your initial contact with approach they will let you know of any changes. When I first saw the title of this thread I thought "good for him" always checking is a good thing but constantly letting it run might be a pre cursor to something bad happening because you were distracted. Just my opinion though.

sounds kinda overboard....

checking ATIS at every airport? what if he misses an ATC call?

what I typically do is during the enroute phase, 50% to my destination, call FSS and get a "major weather" update, such as rainshowers, convective activity, icing, and I always get currect observ at my destination.

I also put ATIS on Comm 2 when I am maybe 100 miles out, then if radio traffic allows, I will get the ATIS and swtich to monitor the destination tower just to get a "picture" of whats going on locally.

later

Hes probably just paranoid, maybe obsessive complulsive disorder. I know around here it seems like storms can pop up outta nowhere, good old Colorado for ya. Honestly id give it time but i wouldnt get on his case to much, hes just trying to be safe, im sure he'll get better about it sometime. I think a lot of students/low timers like to double check things to makr sure, better to be safe than sorry. if hes not doing IFR, tell him to get a cell phone that you can get weather radar on. Sprint has that option with the internet, brings up live dopplar for any area and wx forecasts.

avbug's right, this will work itself out as this person's understanding and comfort level meet. other posters are correct about this as a distraction in critical phases of flight. perhaps as a gift you could buy your friend the following two classics:

aviation weather-for pilots and flight operations personnel

and

aviation weather services

both make excellent toilet reading! other than being annoying, i don't think that your friend is at too much risk. it sounds as though he probably won't be flying anywhere near any hazardous WX conditions, and on the list of stupid SHIZNIT that pilots do, this rates pretty low.

my favorite is the opposite, the cool guy cfi who doesn't get weather briefings prior to his lessons and thinks that a day with low level wind shear and severe turbulance is a good day to practice x-wind landings with a pre-solo student. way to teach your students responsibly!!!!!!! sun's shinin'..... let's go fly!

casper1nine

Maybe you can take and fly him around some isolated t'storms (non-imbedded), and make him realize that HE is in control, and it's ok if thunderstorms are forecast. Tell him that t'storms are not always there when forecast, etc.

TDTURBO said:
Don't bother checking that stuff anymore if you wait till Oshkosk and get the new Lawrence 3000 or the Garmin 396 with terrrain and XM WX Nexrad uplinked satalitte image overlays with freezing levels, cloud tops, winds aloft, everything for 2500 bucks.

There is nothing wrong with being careful about the weather, but when it runs to the extreme in this pilot's case, coupled with the equipment above in the cockpit you have the makings of a midair. This is compounded by the fact that a pilot with this much insecurity with the weather is most likely to be out and about on a gorgeous day when everyone and their brother is out VFRing.

You say you dont feel right saying much since it is his airplane and he is PIC. How about next time you rent/borrow/steal an airplane YOU take him for a flight, perhaps on a day when some thunderstorms are forecast, or it's a bit windy, etc. Show him how you check the weather (assuming you do it in a safe, cautious, but reasonable way), and that everything will work out OK without a live weather feed.

Latest resources

Back