Checking wx too much

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

DX Rick

I have been flying with a friend for a while now. He's constantly checking the weather. The last few days it has been clear and a million and forecasted for severe clear. During pre flight he checks the wx computer, then calls for a briefing. Thats fine, I respect that.

Then before we get in the airplane he calls all the local awos and asos in the area just to make sure. At first I thought he was joking, but he's not. When listening to ATIS and he hears the winds have changed or picked up from what the briefer or METAR reported, I see a look of concern on his face.

When airborne he is constantly listening to ATIS of airports as we pass them, and other wx reporting services in route (which again I respect) and then our destination airport he listens to thier ATIS until we contact tower, and he will let it continously play.

I have more time, which doesn't mean I'm a better pilot, but it's his plane and he is PIC so I don't say anything about it.

I agree to check wx, and on bad thunderstorm days I would check the weather like that myself, but he does this on severe clear days.

I would like to mention it to him, but I don't want him to get offended. How would you go about telling someone to tone down on this? Maybe educate him more on weather?

Just curious, what is his demeanor? This reminded me of a couple of students I had. One of them was working on his commercial/multi. It was our first lesson, we were going to do some basic VFR intro to the Apache. It was a crystal clear VFR day. He showed up a little early, and by the time I had finished with my previous student, he had printed out a weather report covering the entire west coast, including various weather maps.

When we taxied out, he was listening to the ATIS at PDX which was about 4 miles away. At the time, we did not have to call PDX to get cleared out of their airspace, nor were we planning on landing there, but this guy was diligently writing down the entire ATIS, including runways in use, and NOTAMS. I asked him why he was going into such detail, and he said "Well, I figure I'm going to be flying a Metroliner for Horizon pretty soon, so I have to get used to this." I explained to him that he was going to be instructing for quite some time first, and that he should learn to keep it simple so as not to overwhelm his students. Plus, I told him he would be better served learning the Apache first. Anyway, to make a long story short, this guy was "all about the image". He had a pre-concieved notion about what "commercial pilots" do, and he wanted to live the part.

Another guy, totally opposite. He was terrified, almost to the point of paralysis in even light turbulence. We were flying along in clear, smooth VFR weather, and we tuned the ASOS to an airport we were going to be landing at. He listened to the weather, and when it got to the remarks section, it said "Thunderstorm information not available." As soon as he heard the word "Thunderstorm", he looked at me and said "UH-OH!" Now I could see the airport from where we were at that point, and there was not a thunderstorm within 200 miles in any direction, but he got so freaked out by the mere mention of the word, that he didn't notice the rest of the remarks.

Over-absorbing yourself in any task is not good for any pilot. Is he doing it out of fear or trying to create some image? Either way, it may help you to remind him that his first duty is to "fly the airplane first". Getting wrapped up in extra unneccessary tasks is asking for trouble. Kind of reminds me of the old adage "Don't drop the airplane to fly the microphone".

LAXSaabdude.

these guys wouldn't last 1 day in the 135 world.

Don't bother checking that stuff anymore if you wait till Oshkosk and get the new Lawrence 3000 or the Garmin 396 with terrrain and XM WX Nexrad uplinked satalitte image overlays with freezing levels, cloud tops, winds aloft, everything for 2500 bucks.

LAXSaabdude said:
Is he doing it out of fear or trying to create some image? Either way, it may help you to remind him that his first duty is to "fly the airplane first".
LAXSaabdude.

I wouldn't go as far to say fear. Maybe uncomfortable because he isn't experienced. He has 230 hours, all VFR. He doesn't like turb. he hates it. I have to remind him the airplane isn't going to fall out of the sky, or fall to pieces.

If I was going to bother educating this guy, I'd start with educating myself by asking him why he checks it so often. Maybe it's lack of understanding - gets the briefing, but doesn't understand the forest so he concentrates on trees. But maybe it's just one of a hundred habits we purposely get ourselves into just put us on automatic for more stressful situations. Or maybe something in between.

midlifeflyer said:
But maybe it's just one of a hundred habits we purposely get ourselves into just put us on automatic for more stressful situations. Or maybe something in between.

Deeeep!, but true.

I would like to mention it to him, but I don't want him to get offended. How would you go about telling someone to tone down on this? Maybe educate him more on weather?

I don't think that the weather itself is the problem. More likely it's his confidence in his ability to deal with said weather. Address that first and see if it helps at all.

-Goose

Last edited:
He may show a little excess, but I certainly wouldn't lift a finger to discourage him. He will seek his own level with time, but his concern for safety is certainly commendable.

Someone who is concerned with safety, even to excess, can certainly last a long time in the 135 world.

It seems that many operators just aren't capable...

Latest resources

Back