• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Ailerongirl

Back in DFW!
Hey guys,

Is there any kind of limitation as to when a personal check can be cashed?

The reason I asked is that as I was going through some papers that I moved from TX I found a check that I was sent from my old cell phone that I sold on E-Bay. The check was written June 03.
Can I still deposit it?

When I had a real job...it was for a bank. The limit was 6 months. I'm not sure if that's a universal rule....might have been just the bank I worked for.

Ailerongirl said:
Is there any kind of limitation as to when a personal check can be cashed?

Can I still deposit it?
Maybe. Yes.

I've heard different stories from experts in the field, so I don't depend on experts in that field anymore. It may be that there are differences between banks, credit unions, and savings & loans, and it appears that there may be some differences among banks, etc.

My advice would be to photocopy it first, then deposit it. Don't spend it until it clears, of course, as it might not. If it clears, good on you. If it does not, too bad, at least you tried, nothing lost.

As a courtesy, you might drop a note to the individual that wrote the check and let them know what happened and what you intend to do so they don't get a nasty surprise. A more difficult problem for both of you may be due to an error on their part. That is, they may have forgotten about the check, failed to balance their check book months ago and couldn't figure out why, forgotten about the outstanding check and spent the money. THEN, if the the bank DOES process the check, it could result in a BOUNCED check with the ensuing fees to you AND them.

In fact, that courtesy contact with the person who wrote the check might result in a "Oh, golly, I'm so glad you called/wrote/e-mailed. I was worried about that check, I've had it here as an outstanding check on my register all this time. I'll send you another check to replace that one."

OK, so maybe that won't happen, but it could! :)

Latest resources

Back