Check out these times

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Food for thought

It's funny how people have different views depending on where you are. I believe they are actually jealous. I am too, but I don't comdemn them. If you where a FSI guy with 300 hours, would you like to do the ASA thing? YES. Well guess what, in the late 60's, you could be hired with a CIME with the minimum of hours into the majors. Some were conditionally hired without any licenses. Same with the European airlines. Military goes from a C172 to a turboprop with very little hours, and then to jets. It's not the amount of hours you have, it's the knowledge you learn. Experience is learned on the job. There is a FIRST for everything. You can't learn experience without doing it whether you have 300 hours or 2500 hours for 121 operations. Does flying 1500 hours prepare you for a regional airline compared to 300 hours? It could be said that you have less bad habits with the 300 guy. Does it prepare you for CAT at FL310, or weather and operations at flight levels above 12,000 feet? And guess what, you have a guy sitting in the left seat to AID you whether you have 300 hours or 2500 hours.

When I worked in construction as an engineer, construction workers would say "We have been doing that for years." I would say "How about doing it right this time?" Low time pilots have been flying Part 121 for decades with no problems.

Yankee writes:
Total time hire for Comair new hire: 700 hours!

Well, I'm happy for Comair and hope this man / woman works out for them. He / she must be a higher quality of applicant, because they turned me down earlier this year. First interview I ever had where the company reps were actually hostile and borderline unprofessional IMO. Two other guys in my interview group reported the same reaction from the HR and Pilot reps that day. I've never experienced anything like it, and my contact (Comair Captain) was not happy about it.

It's too bad, because I think it would have been a good company to work for otherwise.

Exactly, that was my point to begin with. There are quite a few pilots out in the regionals that don't know the hardships of aviation, straight from a brand new 172 into a brand new CRJ.

flying f-14s off hornets

let me get this straight , the quality of the training you recieved was so superior that anybody, including a numbnutt like me, could be trained to fly a hornet off a carrier and land at night, crap., what's the age limit and the chief pilot's name?

actually, the mental capacity of a hornet driver much esteemed like yourself, and for that I salute you sir, is probably far superior than the typical 300 hour kid out of riddle or any body else who's wrestled 120 horses.

What the hell is all the squawking about here??!

I've been flying C-172's through all kinds of challenging VFR weather. When I upgraded to PA-28 and low-wing, I could no longer see the ground quite accurately as I could in C-172 and that scared the bejeepers out of me! So finally, my instructor decided to further upgrade me into C-172RG which TOTALLY scared the bejeezus out of me because the freakin gear goes up and down!!!!!!! Not to mention the little blue thingamajig between the mixture and the throttle.. what the f*($# is that??!!
But I mastered that!!! I am the Master of My Universe!

Instrument rating and instrument flying??? Who says it's tough to shoot instrument approaches to the mins? I've done it my entire instrument training under the hood to an acceptable level of accuracy!!!

So now, I'm cool, but my instructor got the whiff that I felt high and mighty so he decided to throw me into a two-engine airplane. Now, WOW!!!! there are just too many levers in that f****ing thing! Then he's hammering me on procedures like cram, climb, clean, cool, call... any clue what the hell he's talking about??! I mean it almost sounds as if he's talking about mounting a chick. In any case, I decided to play along... and whaddya know.. I have a fistful of certificates and 300 hours, not to mention my instructor only has 400 hours.

Now where's that CRJ??

:D

2 thumbs up Freight D!!! Nice en.

Good one Freight Dog!

There ARE too many levers in this flipping thing... And they don't control the fans the same ways. I move one, opps, wrong one, move the other, get it right, gotta go back to the first to put it where it belongs, wrong one again, dang there goes the localizer, back to capture that one, and the power helps the turn, back to the other lever, Thank Piper the props can stay set, sh** there goes the glideslope, gear, whoah pitch DOWN, whoah baby, whoah, power, no the other one, pant pant, wait, DH, no airport, missed approach, which one do I move first!!!!!?????!!!!

:eek:

Multis sure seem to be an awful lot of work for not much increase in performance. I know a P210 will suck the doors off the Baron we were simulating.

Just think, if I was at Sheble's in 4 flight hours and three days I can be flying a multi on a checkride. . .

Fly SAFE!
Jedi Nein

As far as knowledge goes the european 300 hours pilot is light years ahead of the american 300 hour pilot in terms of knowledge.
Yankee 301,

I'm sure you have NO experience flying with these europeans or asian 300 hour pilots. I agree, their book knowledge is much betternthan a American pilot ( who cares how a VOR or NDB are transmitting, as long as they are), but their flying SUCK ( a 300 hour pilot is a 300 hour pilot, no matter how you look at it). The only time they do a OK job is when the flight plan in the FMS (arrival, approach) agrees with what is actually flown, and that has to be on a good, no wind, VMC day.

I agree, 300 hour european pilots have the tech knowledge and will try and fly the plane that way. Doesn't always work, you have to be able to finess it. Give them some wind or turbulence and the altitude goes all over. In general. I heard a gulfstream B1900 the other day. The kid sounded just like a 300 hour pilot, and you hear when the captain was correcting his calls. Sounded like babysitting to me. I was laughing myself.

Latest resources

Back