Check my luggage, Please.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yeah,

I mean, the seats in the airplane might themselves be made of explosives. Who is checking those. Not to mention the lifevests. When is the last time someone actually opened one up to see if it contained a small explosive device inside. EMK's, bullhorns, supplemental Oxygen bottles, rafts, etc. COME ON. There is no way you can check out everything. And besides that, once again it has been shown that they are not catching everything that is coming on board even with NORMAL screening techniques let alone searching diapers. Look at the woman with the 357 magnum in here x-ray screened carryon who made it onto a revenue flight to PHL and it was only discovered while she was making a connection.

Here is again a good case where arming of flight crews will help to solve several problems, including crewmembers being harrassed in screening. The bill is coming and it will pass congress next month. One problem it will help to solve is having another backup to our non-100% capable screening, and our non-100% cockpit doors (remember the crash ax guy). Secondly, once crew members are concealed carriers, that is going to end screening as we know it. They will have to have alternate screening available exclusively for crewmembers which will only entail a detailed identification match. No use searching for nail clippers when I will be carrying a Sig .40!

I know this part is a bit off topic, but I heard a guy talking the other day (overheard his conversation) and complaining that "What happens if the pilot snaps and shoots somebody?" I wanted to say, well maybe that will stop him from doing a split-S into mother earth. I wish opponents would just think a little farther than the end of their noses before spouting their idiocy. Nuff-said

Just a little FYI for all of you jumpseaters and non-revs who are getting harrassed by the random check.

There are a few things that I always do (and completely your prerogative):

1) Request that the person checking your bag use latex rubber gloves. If they already have gloves on, request that they change their gloves and put on a new clean pair. This is your right.

2) When they ask "Sir, may I check your bag." I ask them not to check it until they are done screening me. That usually involves the pat-down, wand, unbukling the belt, and taking off the shoes. After that is complete and only after that, do I allow them to start rumaging through my stuff. I am not about to let some idiot who doesn't even have a high school diploma go through my stuff without my supervision.

3) I also make it clear to them that I have all of my items in a particular order and my clothes folded up, and that I want them in that very same order when they are done.

4) And lastly, I take my sweet a.ss time with everything. If the flight is right at departure time, I'll usually slow down even more. Maybe this will eventually send a message to the airlines when more and more of their flights are delayed. They cannot deny you boarding if you were originally there on time.

And just to respond to 1900laker,

There are two things that we are all eagerly awaiting for that will make life soooooo much better.

1) The Universal Access System for flight crews. This would basically be an electronic smartcard which would allow for quick and immediate positive identification of crewmembers. You would bypass security and not have to go through any type of random screening. Obviously a system like this would compliment the carrying of guns by pilots.

2) The return of cockpit jumpseat access for offline pilots on all airlines. Again, with the implementation of the Universal Access System, offline cockpit jumpseating would be returned.

As to how long all of this will take, only time will tell.

1900laker,

>>>>>>Secondly, once crew members are concealed carriers, that is going to end screening as we know it. They will have to have alternate screening available exclusively for crewmembers which will only entail a detailed identification match. No use searching for nail clippers when I will be carrying a Sig .40!

Uhhhhhhhh, I hate to burst your bubble, but you must not have been paying attention to the level of inteligence we're dealing with.

If pilots were authorized to carry firearms, you would go through screening, declare your weapon, and they would *still* take away your tweezers.

Any attempt to point out the stupidity of taking tweezers away from an armed pilot, would at best, be met with a blank stare and an explanation that they can't allow anyone to carry unauthorized items on board which might be used as a weapon. At worst, it would get you dragged off in handcuffs.

You think I'm kidding? DOn't bet on it. I recall reading an account by a former british serviceman who had fought in the Faulklands. He and his unit travelled to war in a chartered commercial aircraft. They boarded fully equipped, and each soldier carried his rifle on board .... but, because they boarded at an airport terminal they had to pass through security screening. The screeners made each soldier run his FN-FAL (or whatever the brit service rifle was) through the x-ray machine ...... hey idiot!!!! It's a fully automatic rifle!!! what do you think they might be concealing inside it??? Tweezers??????

Sorry man, we are up against a level of stupidity that is just unfathomable

regards

Alright I get the point,

Your right. I was hold a glimmer of hope that some intelligence may be on the horizon with this thing, but look how many years it has been without any common sensical approach.

And Flight-crew, your right. The Universal access card is the "key" (so to speak) to it all. Without it, none of our hopes will come to fruition.

Oh well, I don't have to worry about this for a while. I start my furlough tomorrow. With military duty lined up, I won't be returning to work till next may sometime, even if there is an earlier recall. Lots of time on my hands to harass congressmen and the media over this though.;)

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back