Cheapest Initial CFI Training

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

The Saint

Ok i have searched...looking for the cheapest school to get my initial CFI rating. Location not important. I have been a flight instructor in the military for years just looking to get my cfi so i can teach my friends ect...

Why bother going to a school? It sounds as though you have a solid background; get the writtens out of the way, then find a good CFI to ride with you a few times and have him/her sign you off. It shouldn't be a big deal and it shouldn't be necessary to go the "school" route.

'Sled

Look into American Flyers, they have a CFI Academy that lasts about 30 days or so, and you'll get your CFI and CFII, it costs about 2 grand for everything...ground school, tests, and flight time for manuvers you'll need to know. Your previous flight time will be very helpfull, but to pass the check ride you'll need some time with an instructor. I did the course about 4 years ago, it was very well organized, and a great learning experience.

Getting the CFI is 90% gound and 10% flying. The more you study and prepare for the initial CFI checkride the better. The flying part is basically a commercial checkride from the right seat.

The majority of initials that fail are failing the oral.

If you are proficient in the aircraft from the right seat and have your spin training out of the way, then there is really not a lot of flying to be done.

Study and be able to teach on every point in the PTS and you will be ready.

Thanks for the help

actually i have been trying to track down a cfi who would fly with me, check me out and sign me off. i have allready taken the exams and feel my aviation knowledge (even if i can't spell) is sufficent for the task even though we are allways learning. i am perfectly willing to pay a cfi for 10 or 15 hrs of flight time and another 10 or so of ground instruction. if there is anybody in the florida (west palm, fort lauderdale, or miami area who is interested let me know). Your challenge will be to get me spun up to speed. what you have to work with is me. about 3000 hrs; 1200 ip hrs in the t-38 and tornado not much prop time and non of it recent, except i am current in a helicopter (r-22) dont know how much that will help. anyway send me a pm
ps sorry i hate to capitalize when i type

The Saint said:
actually i have been trying to track down a cfi who would fly with me, check me out and sign me off. i have allready taken the exams and feel my aviation knowledge (even if i can't spell) is sufficent for the task even though we are allways learning. i am perfectly willing to pay a cfi for 10 or 15 hrs of flight time and another 10 or so of ground instruction. if there is anybody in the florida (west palm, fort lauderdale, or miami area who is interested let me know). Your challenge will be to get me spun up to speed. what you have to work with is me. about 3000 hrs; 1200 ip hrs in the t-38 and tornado not much prop time and non of it recent, except i am current in a helicopter (r-22) dont know how much that will help.
You're practally home free. Get a hold of the local FSDO and ask them to recommend a few qualified CFIs. Also get a list of the local CFI Designated Examiners in your area and ask them the same question. I guarantee that you'll find several qualified guys to contact.

'Sled

With your experience and background, you don't need a formal school. Do it under Part 61. All you need is an instructor, an airplane, some time, and some money. You'll do fine, but be sure your instructor drills you on the the FOI and you're up on the FAA pubs. The PTS will give you all the publications upon which your test is drawn. The FAA publications are its last word on what to know, how to do it and how to teach it.

Good luck with your practical.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back