Chautauqua

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CaptBiff

For anyone who is interested, CHQ is as of Oct. 1st an all jet airline. The last SAAB is gone. All new-hires will fly the emb135,140, or 145. Our bases are STL, IND, CMH, BOS, LGA, PHL, RIC, and begining Dec 1st MCO. We currently fly for American Connection, America West Express, US Airways Express, and begining Nov 1st Delta Connection.

Good luck to ya all and fly safe.

Interested in Info

What are the minimums to apply at Chautauqua ?
A name to address a cover letter?
I appreciate any info I can get.
Thanks all.

???

It seems like Chautauqua will be a good place to go, though it's anybody's guess as to when you'll actually end up there. I've been in their hiring pool for about five months now because of a few close friends I have there, but still no classdate. I'm told there's somewhere around 80-90 people in the pool from a few sources and that includes everyone from US Air Furloughees with a lot more time than me to some lower time bridge program people. However, they only called like three or four people from that pool for the last class (only one of which is in it; The rest already had other employment); The rest were hired from "elsewhere" right into class. They also don't seem to call people out of the pool in order of hire, by flight time, or any other discernable criteria.

Last rumor I heard was that there was a late October class that hasn't had people assigned to it, and at least one more in November. Of course, all that is tentative until someone is actually assigned to a class, as we all know. All the "re-fires" are back to work or at least in class right now.

Anyhow, I'm still praying every morning before getting in my freight dog clothes that today will be the day I get the call! I've been trying to avoid signing a lease anywhere so I won't be stuck paying out four months in an apartment I'm not living at, but not to any avail. Anybody got an available couch in RIC? :rolleyes:

Good luck guys...

CaptBiff said:
We currently fly for American Connection, America West Express, US Airways Express, and begining Nov 1st Delta Connection.

I am not entirely convinced that is something to be proud of. CHQ is being used to dilute the bargaining power and put downward pressure on compensation for everyone else in the regional industry. It only stands to reason that the DCI w/o were next on the list.

If your management is looking for a new callsign, might I sugest "WHIPSAW"?? Kinda catchy, eh?

Re: Re: Chautauqua

MetroSheriff said:
I am not entirely convinced that is something to be proud of. CHQ is being used to dilute the bargaining power and put downward pressure on compensation for everyone else in the regional industry. It only stands to reason that the DCI w/o were next on the list.

If your management is looking for a new callsign, might I sugest "WHIPSAW"?? Kinda catchy, eh?

No, next on the list is COEX in our plot to undermine the whole regional airline industry. We ho's well do anything to kill your chances of getting a better contract.

Yea right, why don't you blame your management or your fellow pilot group for your trouble instead, because it is just too easy to make us scape goats. I just fly the plane. I don't make the deals. Right now CHQ has a great team and we are growing. The people on this site are looking for career info and they should know that CHQ is a good place to work. Are you happy with your present employeer? Would your recomend people on this site to seek employment there? I understand that people boo a winner, Dale Earnhardt was the most booed man in NASCAR and he won 7 championships.

So CHQ is a good place to work and we are not out to destroy anyone's way of life. If your in the pool you may want to update your resume and try to get your name at the top of the list.

National Geographic should do a show on the feeding habits of the Airline Industry.

PS. Crunch, you're always pissed!

Last edited:
ok this is getting out of control. It seems in some people's eyes that if an airline offers a lower cost product (note that does not have everything to do with a regional airline's success) then they are whores.

Southwest came on the scene a while back and offered a lower cost product with a revolutionary route structure. Now you have airtran (who just coded w/ air whiskey a great regional airline), jet blue, spirit, you get my point. Are their pilot groups wrong for wanting a better paying job, even though it doesn't compete with the majors' pay??

So let me ask you this metro and capt pissy, if chq cares only about jets and undercutting others why did they vote down J4J's?? what about the contract in the works....what if they get paid well and still keep on growing? Are you going to pissed just cause of chq's success??

I realize times are tough but unless you were at the negotiating table when CHQ picked up DCI flying and know all the facts please chill out. thanks.

Re: Re: Re: Chautauqua

dav8or said:
No, next on the list is COEX in our plot to undermine the whole regional airline industry. We ho's well do anything to kill your chances of getting a better contract.

Great attitude. I think you were attempting to be facetious, however, a lot of truth is spoken in jest. The rest of us will keep that in mind when we hear the name "Chataqua".

dav8or said:

Yea right, why don't you blame your management or your fellow pilot group for your trouble instead, because it is just too easy to make us scape goats.

With out sub par carriers willing to jump in and do our flying for cheaper, our management would not choose to outsource the flying in the first place. You are correct in that we failed to negotiate scope language that would contractually protect our share of the outsourced DAL feed. For that, shame on us.

As for being a scape goat and assumiong the blame, if the shoe fits....

dav8or said:
I just fly the plane. I don't make the deals.

Stick you head back in the sand and enjoy your utopian relationship. Your turn in the barrell will come sooner than you think.

dav8or said:
Right now CHQ has a great team and we are growing. The people on this site are looking for career info and they should know that CHQ is a good place to work.

Your definition of great and mine may be somewhat different. If you enjoy the way your management treats you, you deserve each other. You are growing at someone else's expense. Be it Eagle or DCI, you are enabling management to undermine our ability to raise the bar for everyone. Perhaps your perspective is too myopic to understand the wider affect your managements actions have on the whole industry.

Personnaly I find your perspective rather obtuse.

If your definition of good includes terminations in lieu of furloughs and out of seniority recalls, than I suppose you may be correct. Although you may find it difficult to find many to agree with you.

dav8or said:
Are you happy with your present employeer? Would your recomend people on this site to seek employment there?

I am. We have our problems but we certainly are not attempting to undermine the rest of the industry for our own self-centered desire for growth at all costs. Can you say the same?

As for referals and recomendations. I have, I do and I will continue to strongly encourage folks to seek employment with ASA/Comair and will help to that end, in any way I can. Feel free to ask.

dav8or said:
I understand that people boo a winner, Dale Earnhardt was the most booed man in NASCAR and he won 7 championships.

I am not sure I understand the annalogy drawn between a championship NASCAR driver and a fee-for departure alter-ego, whipsaw carrier de jur regional airline. But that is neither here nor there.

dav8or said:

So CHQ is a good place to work and we are not out to destroy anyone's way of life.

I am glad you enjoy it. I don't believe that you personally are out to harm anyone. I don' think that the same could be said for your management. You are simply the pawn which they have chosen in their attempt to undermine the rest of the carriers bargaining strength and compensation pricing power.

dav8or said:
If your in the pool you may want to update your resume and try to get your name at the top of the list.

I am not. I have a job with which I am quite satisfied. I will, however, keep the offer in mind. Just in case our bargaining power is undermined by cheap subcontractors to the point we are unable to negotiate a reasonable contract and management begins to abuse us with things like out of seniority furloughs and such.

Metro Sheriff is apparently envious of the prosperity of another airline and is having personal problems in his own security. As with most of his posts they show a bitter attitude and his colors really show. Unfortunately people like him are in every industry. Most company's HR people weed a guy like this out before he squeeks through training. Could you imagine sitting next to this dude on a trip? Some will be bitter no matter what the situation.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back