Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Goose Egg

Big Jens
I guess it's my turn to post one of these goofy threads... I did a search here on flightinfo and it didn't really give me the info that I wanted. I've been able to get a lot of info about the company through my own research, but there are a few things that I haven't been able to figure out, so here goes:

-What are the Jr bases? How long would it take me to hold ORD, IAH, CVG? (or any other base that is 1-leg commutable from SLC).

-How long is training? IOE?

-How long could I expect to be on reserve?

Those are the burning questions. If I think of anything more, I'll post it. Oh, and if you all have any other pertinant info, feel free to share it.

Thanks so much,
Goose

Last edited:
ORD, CVG, and IAH are bases for three different aircraft. ORD on the 170 is senior, CVG on the 145 is junior, IAH on the CRJ is junior in terms of hire date, but your relative seniority would be low on the CRJ if hired now.

Training is about 1 week indoc, 2 weeks systems, 2 weeks CPT and SIM. Then IOE to follow, sometimes it happens quick sometimes not.

Reserve is a wild card, no telling. I was on reserve for 2 years because of the base I chose, whereas most people in my class never sat a day of reserve. That was 2 years ago now.

I am in the same situation as you and I am in training. Things are in such a flux here that most ideas like reserve times, junior bases, IOE are up in the air. There are ALOT of new hires here, probably around 75 pilots or so here in STL right now for the 145 and 170 with all 3 certificates, and that doesnt count the guys in Houston for the CRJ, 145. So who knows what will happen.

Does anybody on here have a June or July class date? I'm just trying to figure out what classes are being run in trhe next couple months.

thanks.

If you do get reserve, especially for Shuttle or Republic, you'll be busier than lineholders. The only people that I've heard are not busy on reserve, are the DEN based Frontier express guys.
Most of us only know if a class is going on when we go to the sim - newhires are going to 170 sim in Paris. Sim time is at a premium and things are moving VERY fast around here. ORD and ATL are very senior bases.

If you're in SLC, you should take a look at SKYW if you havent already. Commuting is not very fun.

I'd actually thought of that, but commuting to SLC is going to be a temporary thing (about a year and a half) even though I'm from there origninally, and in the long run I think it'd work out better to do things this way. Besides, $19/hr isn't really anything to get excited about.

Edit: Well, niether is $23, but it makes a big difference when you are trying to get by on that income level. Now if only Horizon would start hiring again...

-Goose

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back