• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Chatty co-pilot

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Who hasn't been a 'chatty cathy' at some point? I have, I will even brief it on those back side of the clock trips. what can I say it keeps me awake. I have also flown with the non stop chatter-box. I just generally zone out and think of a happy place, usually my fishing boat. another option is to go back in the cabin and work the pax for a tip (135). part 91, I don't know go in the back and play flight attendent, at least it is a break from the noise

you haven't said... have you even tried to talk to him about this? You are captain... right? as for his interaction with pax, I would address this too. I think you are stuck with his odd behavior at restaurants and the such... he is who he is...

you could also ask him if he looks at FI and send him here to look at posts...

Every so often say.."shhhh... did you hear that?...be quiet for a little while to see if i can figure out what it is and where it might be coming from". Have him focus his attention on your "problem" you may have discovered and that might be your nice little cup of STFU for him for awhile.

Trace.... have u every thought that in these trying economic times the guy is scared to death to loose his job and you haven't had the decency to be a friend and tell him he doesn't have to talk so much trying so hard for you to like him.

The chances are he may not want to talk so much either but he will do anything to try an make you happy and doesn't know you would like time to sink in to oblivion.

Try being a decent kind understanding human and look at the person and not his what you think of his stature in life compared to his siblings. Goes bothe ways. If these aren't the case .... well only you know the whole story from your eyes.

I had a guy that would walk me all the way to the gate for my commute home. Irritated me to death but just wanted me to like him.

Another time the same thing was going on because the guy had 3 children and was scared to death to lose his job and thought I some how would have a say so.

We are all human. If we can't admit that we shouldn't be on the flight deck.

Don't think you have to be an A ss to be a left seater.

So far I have operated as expected and trained succesfully dealing with 4 engine failures a flight deck fire 4 nose gear problems 3 genCSD elctrical problems/shorts and amny other and I am decent to my team members and teach them how to be a decent captain later.

And by the way if it's that you are just an a ss yourself.... go f ur self then u deserve it.

Geez I can't believe I wasted minutes of my afternoon off with this.

From the length of your post , you must be quite chatty yourself . It is OK to not talk ! Talking without saying anything is ridiculous .

I know someone like this but I don't have to work with him. I see him once every two weeks when our kids get together at school functions. If I had to listen to him blather on day after day I'd probably be driven to drink as well.

If you can't get away from this guy (and it sounds like you have to work with him every day), then you do have a problem. The guys who are telling you to "man up" and say something to him are spot on. If his incessant chatter bothers you so much that you shut down and ignore him when you're flying together, safety suffers.

Can you sit down with him in private and RESPECTFULLY inform him that the constant gabbing is distracting? You don't have to be a jerk about it, but at the end of the day you have to manage your cockpit. Some things need to be said, painful or not. Give him a chance to "man up" himself and respect your wishes; if he's unwilling or unable to, than as I see it you have two choices...take it to the chief pilot or find another job.

Hmmmm.....maybe he needs to be just a bad smell from the trunk of a car in long term parking...

-Tony

Forget the booze, Bose, etc. Look for a job that flys your arse 10 to 15 hours a month instead of 50+. Personally, I don't care how bad the other guy might be in the cockpit since I know I won't be with him long after the flight. In other words, if your 91 gig has you flying in the air with this FO longer than you are on the ground it is time to look for those non-existent cushy corporate jobs or bite the bullet and be happy you are working in this economy instead of worrying about going insane over cockpit conversation.

I will also put my vote in to say I would rather fly with the chatty FO than the initiator of this thread.

chatty-co pilot

Originally Posted by AeroBoy
Trace,

If you truly think he should be on some kind of medication, then he might actually be a ticking time bomb in the right seat. What if he goes wacko at FL410 and decides it's time to end it all? If you really think this is a medical problem, at minimum you should be asking an AME for advice what you should do about him. Be prepared that the AME might tell you to report him to the FAA.

Hay, has this individual grown a very bushy beard, ware sandels, and pray five times a day, towards a point in the ME?,and no longer eats spare ribs? If not, I think your OK mate.

ALa- AKBAR

Cheers

Latest resources

Back