Chataqua flight ops question.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

AWACoff

Do your manuals allow you to take off during microburst alerts for your takeoff runway..specifically 35kt loss on said runway? Everybody else (Eagle, American, and us) could not. Seemed a bit odd to me.

per POH, "The policy is to avoid areas of known windshear. Consider one or more of the following actions as appropriate: Delay takeoff until conditions approve, Divert around areas of known windshear, If windshear indicated during approach, initiate a go-around or hold until conditions improve" "Takeoff into KNOWN severe windshear is prohibited" "Takeoff into SUSPECTED windshear can be done if you use the longest rwy available with least possibility of windshear, if windshear detected on rwy prior to V1 abort"

Last edited:
I'll play the part of Joe Private Pilot/CFI stud/Newbi RJ FO with very little experience and likes to criticize people:

"Even though I wasn't there and don't know the actual situation, I'll show everyone how good of a pilot I am by saying I would never even think about doing that (even though I actually HAVE done stupid stuff in an airplane that I probably shouldn't have. But nobody here knows that so I'll just criticize Chautauqua; they deserve it). Did you hear about their last contract? They totally lowered the bar. That would explain why they have stupid pilots like these guys who take off directly into a level 5 between twin tornadoes with softball sized hail pelting down and a 45 knot tailwind. I would also point out the overused cliche of "just because it's legal doesn't mean it's safe". Someone else will probably quote that and put it in their post and agree with me. That will make me feel good about myself and mask my feelings of inadequacy about my flying skills and decision-making ability. Thats ok, I don't mind being an FO forever. Plus, I do look pretty good in my uniform. Chicks don't know the difference between three stripes and four, do they? I sure hope they can't tell in my YahooToolLoveMatch profile. Wait, I'll just wear my dads military flightsuit. Now what was I saying....Oh yeah, those AWAC pilots are the safest in the world."

I hope I covered everything.

Hey Corbon, I agree. Chautauqua sucks! I would never work there either.

Last edited:
AWA, you should try to mind your own buisness. Going on Flightinfo to talk about what another airline did is childish. Same with the people who bash PCL for doing dumb things on here. We cannot not talk, because we werent there. Im sure the guy wouldnt have taken off anyways is there was a clear sign of a microburst or hazardous WX.

"Use caution wake turbulence departing CRJ parallel runway" OK ATC, Ill use caution......

Hey Corbon, I agree with you in some ways, but don't you work for Chautauqua? And since you do. You must have helped lower the bar and then you obviously took off into a level 5 t-storm on many occasion

I usually fly right into the red part of the radar, even if that means going a little bit out of my way. There is less of a chance of having a mid-air in thunderstorms. Statistically, there is less of a chance of a mid-air collision in a thunderstorm than anywhere else in the sky. Safety first ya know.

"Center, can Chautauqua 7780 get 20 right for weather?"
Center: " Uh.... I'm showing a cell over there at about your 2 o'clock and 30 miles that everyone's deviating around"
"Yeah, we're painting that cell too....sooooo, can we get that 20 right?"

Latest resources

Back