Charter/certificate/management question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

johnny taliban

Ive got a Lear 35 owner who is interested in putting his aircraft on Part 135 Certificate and running some charter with the airplane. He basically wants me to fly him about 150 hours a year and run charter on the side. I believe it is a good opportunity for me but I have very little experience with the management side of things. Couple of questions for those in the know.

1. What is the average cost per month to use someone's certificate?
2. What are the insurance requirements?
3. Who would track maintenance and paper work? Would this be included in the monthly charge for the certificate?
4. Is it realistic to have one person (me) manage an aircraft as well as schedule charters on the side?

Any input appreciated,
Johnny

Last edited:
Wow, you are really getting into something you know nothing about? Best thing to do is find a charter company already in existence, put it on their certificate (maybe) and fly it.

Wow, you are really getting into something you know nothing about? Best thing to do is find a charter company already in existence, put it on their certificate (maybe) and fly it.

Its called "FlightINFO.com" for a reason

Here you go:

1. Negotiable.
2. Negotiable.
3. Negotiable.
4. No.

I would start calling charter management companies and start getting ideas that way. You can set it up just about any way you want it. Some charter management companies will not hire incumbent pilots. You also want to make sure all of your maintenance is up to date with no irregularities in the paperwork so that the process of getting it on a cedrtificate doesn't break your owner.

Better get ready for a lot of late night calls and last minute crap. My old boss had this happen to him once, and his great corporate job just started sucking right after that. Actually made him quit. He was working twice as much, and of course, no raise. Watch out for this kind of thing.

Be careful. After the CL600 accient in TEB, the FAA is starting to crack down on people piggy-backing on 135 certificates. This is due to the lack over oversight that the operator has. My FSDO has told me that we may see a new requirement in the future that requires the operator to pay its own pilots (i.e. no contract crews working for other management companies). I'm not saying this arragement can't work, just saying CYA.

To answer your questions:

1) Varies greatly company to company
2) Typically a minimum of $50 mil with War Risk Coverage
3) The operator is responsible for all maintenance and flight crew tracking (this is where to FAA feels there is a lcak of oversight). This would be included in your monthly fees. You'll be required to have all the required maintenance performed.
4) It is feasible to manage the aircraft and schedule flights. The certificate holder will be the one holding out and getting your charter. You'll be responsible for setting up all the trips and arranging crew, logstics, etc.

Some of the larger companies that provide this service are EJM, TAG, Atlantic Aviation. There are many operators out there, just make sure to read the fine print in the contract. PM me if you have any questions.

Last edited:
There are a good many issues that surround this decision. For instance, your monthly management fee is one thing but often fuel price and hanger are part of the deal.

The 135 insurance company is going to determine the cost, minimums, and pilot qualifications of the crew. They would track the maintenance items as they are ultimately the ones responsible for it.

Most of the big companies mentioned are not interested in a Lear 35. In addition, they have the real high insurance reqirements and offer you nothing in the way of lower fuel prices and hanger rents.

Latest resources

Back