• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Champion closing DTW base?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Uhhh, wrong-o. MG was purchased by NWA to put Sun Country outta biz back when Sun Country went sked service. Up until then, NWA didt really care. Mission accomplished, Sun Country went Tango Uniform. Then the spool up happened in DTW, small problem though. The geniuses at MLT forgot to do any advertising for all the new FL routes they put in the system. By the time the loads started to pick up they decided to axe all 8 of those newly added cities. Now Sun Country has come back with a vengance and from what I gather is doing fairly well. MG was flying the NBA before the purchase and the NWA took it and believe me...I am glad they did.

But then again, maybe closing DTW isn't such a bad thing. That means a lot of the DTW f/a will hopefully go away. They were directly responsable for MG losing a pending contract with Air Jamaica not to mention some of the rudest, nastiest and worst f/as that MG has/had.

As sub-par as some of F/A's were/are, there are still good people in DTW who are going to be adversely affected by this move.

NWA purchased MG shortly before I came on property. My understanding is that MG was already doing the NBA flying and NWA took it.

And to continue the history, MG got the flying back when NW was seeking to retire the 727's. At that time, there was still a requirement for an aircraft equipped air stairs. So, MG got NW's NBA configured 72's and the rest is history... Kinda funny how things go full circle, and NW ends up getting the NBA flying back again...

Latest resources

Back