Champion closing DTW base?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

naglasair1

Another rumor I heard. Is it true? If so.....why? Contract negotiations? or did they lose some flying? Are they looking at furloughs?...I sure hope not!

Since NWA created Champion to destroy Sun Country in MSP (mission accomplished) then used them in DTW to attack Spirit (now Spirit announces its pulling out of DTW) I'd guess that it's no longer needed.

Sun Country is doing well in MSP. They have a new ownership group and are planning on adding some flights.

I thought Sun Country was all charter, no longer scheduled operations?

Another rumor I heard. Is it true? If so.....why? Contract negotiations? or did they lose some flying? Are they looking at furloughs?...I sure hope not!

All the Pilot Union guys are in DTW. Company is trying to beat them up.

Take your pick... It's usually a flavor of the week. Contract negotiations... Lack of crews... Upcoming NBA flying for our last season... MLT pulling all of our flying in DTW... Any and all are good options...

DFW is safe for the time being... I sure as hell hope so, since I'm based there Oct 1. No furloughs for right now. I guess we are going to do some upgrades even since we lost a few captains.

Since NWA created Champion to destroy Sun Country in MSP (mission accomplished) then used them in DTW to attack Spirit (now Spirit announces its pulling out of DTW) I'd guess that it's no longer needed.

Champion was not created to destroy Sun Country. Champion took the charter and contract flying off of mainline NWA and allowed management to decimate employee costs by removing this flying from their existing employee groups (mainline whipsawing).

NWA needs Sun Country to fend off other low cost competition at the MSP airport. Markets that lack competition that can be controled are dangerous ground for airlines. NWA had a big part in the establishment and funding of Sun Country for a reason.

Champion was not created to destroy Sun Country.

Uhhh, wrong-o. MG was purchased by NWA to put Sun Country outta biz back when Sun Country went sked service. Up until then, NWA didt really care. Mission accomplished, Sun Country went Tango Uniform. Then the spool up happened in DTW, small problem though. The geniuses at MLT forgot to do any advertising for all the new FL routes they put in the system. By the time the loads started to pick up they decided to axe all 8 of those newly added cities. Now Sun Country has come back with a vengance and from what I gather is doing fairly well. MG was flying the NBA before the purchase and the NWA took it and believe me...I am glad they did.

But then again, maybe closing DTW isn't such a bad thing. That means a lot of the DTW f/a will hopefully go away. They were directly responsable for MG losing a pending contract with Air Jamaica not to mention some of the rudest, nastiest and worst f/as that MG has/had.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back