• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Challenge For All You CFI's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Mine's expired twice over the years, but with the internet courses today, there's little excuse any more.

personally i'd rather let them expire now and then if i decide to instruct down the road have to take a re-instatement checkride. do you really think you are a proficient instructor because you did an online course every two years? i think i'd get confused if i had to use a vfr sectional, let alone teach with one. as far as the time issue, i am about to do a 14 day roatation. i wont be able to get to a fsdo before the end of the month.

Getting to a FSDO has nothing to do with recertification; you can do it over the internet.

Staying current is up to you.

If you haven't ever let yours lapse and then gone for reinstatement, you might want to rethink your plan.

There's no advantage in letting it lapse. None. I've done it twice, when I really was busy and gone constantly...ten extremely busy nonstop months on duty at a time and no way to renew. Today, there's really no excuse.

If you have time to post on an internet board like this, you have time to stay current, and certainly time to renew.

Trying to reinstate isn't going to make you proficient, either. It's just going to cost you money and time. We're talking about certification here, not proficiency. Two entirely separate issues. A recurrent training every two years is a small thing to keep it up; staying proficiency and knowledgeable...that's up to you.

I very much regret that I let mine expire 2-1/2 years ago. I had been faithfully renewing it online a few times but, furloughed from one carrier and in the middle of sim training / checkride prep at another, I "graduated" online fine but neglected to spend an extra $25 to have American Flyers handle the renewal paperwork with the FAA, electing instead to carry the graduation certificate "later" down to the local FSDO, which was just 5 minutes drive from my hotel.

Well, I didn't read the fine print- namely that I needed to bring it to the FSDO by the exp. date, not simply "graduate" online by that date. And I was not paying close attention to that due date while I was days from the checkride in the sims, so I accidentally let it expire. I kick myself now.

I plan to do a reinstatement ride next year, as a CFII checkride because it most closely resembles the type of flying I do all the time now, I'm up to speed on IFR as a matter of course, always enjoyed the headwork aspect of CFIIing, and last but not least because I don't have the time or money to go practice chandelles and lazy eights again. But you can be sure I will never, ever screw up an online renewal again.

On the positive side, I learned my Gold Seal and all my CFI ratings will be renewed if I just do a single CFI ride such as the CFII. It is pretty much guaranteed to be with a regular examiner and not an FAA inspector, because the inspectors are overworked with other duties and so normally only do initial CFIs.

Moral of the story though is to not let it lapse, and read the fine print and never cut the deadline too close.

I keep mine but am thinking of letting it go (thousands and thousands of hour os dual given). Here's why:
1) The "academies" that are popping up like weeds. They come to your local airport, flood the place with kids dressed up like airline pilots (yet let them keep the long hair, goatees, etc) and run the local flying schools out of business. Then, for the formerly employed CFI's who have been at the airport for years its either A) sorry, we only hire our graduates or B) yes, you can instruct but you are worth the same 17 bucks as our graduates are, even though you have thousands of hours of experience to share.
2) Lawyers!!!!!
3) TSA and Homeland Security farce. They've made it nearly impossible for the airport to be enjoyable. No more kid at the fence watching planes. Arrest that boy! Get outta here! etc...
It's just plain sad.

Last edited:
well you guys will be proud of me. i renewed it again. and yes it was you avbug that talked me into it.

Me too.

I will be starting my MEI in mid-November. Not only will it renew (CFII-A), but I will have an additional qualification. Getting back into instructing at this stage in my career is very exciting. It seems as though we have more to give to the aviation community now, than we did as brand new CFI's.

Can't wait. Lots to learn!

Latest resources

Back