• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Hung Start

Just the cleanup guy
Ok, Boys and Girls.
The Reverand Hung Start, ESQ. has again renewed his CFI today. I received my Certificate more years ago than I really do wish to remember, (I'm 54 now), but, I want to challenge all of you folks to KEEP RENEWING!!

You all worked very hard for it, just because you become some jet jockey, never, ever, let it lapse.
Someday, your daughter, son, grandkids,, are going to want the best instuctor available,,, and THAT will be your defining moment.

Your esteemed councilor:

Hung Start.

By the way, I don't expire until November 30, the FAA guy typed September, and I argued. He claimed he never heard of the 90 day window. Stood my ground, he researched it and admitted he was in error. Know your stuff, and be confident!

I was a CFI for 1950.2 hours of dual given. That was over 2000 hours ago. I've renewed twice via American Flyers, though I haven't taught a student since 2004. I worked way too hard for those ratings and certificates. All the while I was in debt, broke, on living on Ramen and hot dogs and begging the DE to not cash the checkride check for 2 weeks or it would bounce. Heck no. Those years were hard but they taught me so much about flying, about people and about whether I really wanted to play this aviation game or not. Along the way I taught some great students and made a lot of friends, many of which I still keep in contact with today. I won't let my CFI expire because I remember working to hard to get it and it would be disrespecting all of that work and study to let it expire.

All the while I was in debt, broke, on living on Ramen and hot dogs and begging the DE to not cash the checkride check for 2 weeks or it would bounce.

CHECK??? Wow I didn't know that examiners knew what a check was. The only thing that any of mine would take was cash cash cash!!!

CFI Renewal

Great advise! I obtained my CFI in 1978 and I vowed I would never let it expire! Although I haven't instructed in a light aircraft in many years, I have always continued as an Instructor/Check Airman in my airline career.

If you have a relationship with a APM/POI in an airline training capacity, renewal by association is free and takes about 10 minutes!

CHECK??? Wow I didn't know that examiners knew what a check was. The only thing that any of mine would take was cash cash cash!!!

Fortunately, our school had a very good relationship with a few DEs and if we regularly paid up for our lessons, we could be trusted with checks! Thank goodness for that because cash was unheard of for me back then, unless you count the coins that I found between the cushions of the nasty FBO couch.

call me lazy but i am about to let mine expire. i haven't used them in over 3 years. i don't really have the time to renew them anyway.

I worked way too hard to let them expire. It takes just a few hours online to do the course. I spent many more hours during the initial training so it is worth it. I doubt that I will ever need them but you just never know. Many training departments require you to be a current CFI if you want to be a line check airman, etc.

Latest resources

Back