• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Chalks

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
so, without looking like a know-it-all or a flaming anyone, it appears that the wing snapped off, right? could normal loads on the wings cause it to finally snap off like that (say, in straight and level flight)? or might it take more loading on the wing to cause it to break off? i know it's a case-by-case thing and no one wants to speculate, but i'm just curious. did the wing finally have too much or might the pilots or turbulent air been to blame? and were they descending or climbing? how close were they to their base?

We operate a Twin Otter on floats and at least half of the time it is in salt water. The airplane is very well maintained to the point that the per hour costs for maintenance exceeds the GV, GEX, and B757. Unbelievable what is required to keep the airplane in FAA required, top notch condition. Example: All control cables, which BTW are stainless steel to begin with, need to be changed every year, regardless. I would imagine many of the Mallard issue are the same.

Spooky 1 said:
We operate a Twin Otter on floats and at least half of the time it is in salt water. The airplane is very well maintained to the point that the per hour costs for maintenance exceeds the GV, GEX, and B757. Unbelievable what is required to keep the airplane in FAA required, top notch condition. Example: All control cables, which BTW are stainless steel to begin with, need to be changed every year, regardless. I would imagine many of the Mallard issue are the same.

Say Hi to Mag from his old 757/Queen City Aviation drinking buddy.

AngelKing said:
Sorry, I disagree, i.m.o age is definitely relevant. Are you saying a wing operated in that environment for 50+years is as strong as a newly manufactored wing? I doubt it.

AK

I was just passing on what the NTSB Chairman was stating. He stated that the specific fractures in the wing were not caused by age, that another factor lead to the fractures.

AngelKing said:
Really not trying to start a flame here, just curious.

If you were a Chalks pilot now knowing there were fatigue cracks in the wing of the one that went down. Would you get back into one of those planes? If it was a corrosion problem, that can vary from plane to plane. But since it appears it was fatigue and knowing those planes are all operated in the same environment, same age etc, I don't think I would.

AK

My friend was the copilot on the Chalk's Mallard that crashed Monday. Taking that into consideration, I would say that if they did all the necessary checks and maintenance on whatever the NTSB and FAA find, I would take a Mallard skyward.

It's not just 60 year old aircraft that have accidents. As long as they find the root cause of what happened, ensure that the probability of it happening again is very low by taking the necessary steps to make the airframes safe, I would fly one without reservation.

Look at some of the WWII fighters that have been restored with new wing spars, etc., or Glacier Girl, the P-38 that was buried under the ice in Greenland and really didn't look much like an airplane at all...you can make an old airplane (or any airplane, for that matter) safe and airworthy, but it really becomes a matter of cost.

As far as I'm concerned, you can never discount safety at the behest of money, especially in this business. Ironically, Paul had those very concerns and went to Chalk's because of it. We all know the reality is different, but the outstanding individual I was lucky enough to know who died in that crash was of such moral character that he and I see eye-to-eye on safety. He actually helped the A&Ps work on the Mallards in his downtime just so he could get to know the aircraft better, and believe me, he wouldn't have stepped onboard one if he thought there was any chance of something happening like the tragedy that occured Monday.

I am a better person for having known him, flown with him, and sharing a part of me with him (and he with I). He will be sorely missed by everyone who knew him, the only thing I can take solace in is that he is looking down and watching over all our mutual friends, families, and he now has tailwinds and fair skies forever. I can only hope there are Grumman Mallards in heaven.

God Bless you, Paul, as well as your captain, and all the other souls who were on board with you, as well as their families and friends.

Fly safe everyone, and take some extra time to share with your loved ones what it is you like most about them. When I talked to Paul this past Saturday night, I never thought it would be for the last time.

RIP, PD, and ciao!

I agree that age has alot to do with incidents like this. The aircraft that Chalk's flies were never designed to have a 60 year lifespan in commercial service. True, this particular incident may be the result of other factors, but the age factor is something that is going to have to be addressed at some point. A friend of mine was killed a couple months back in a T-6 down in Florida. He was a passenger when a wing separated. Once again, structural failure on a 50 or 60 year old aircraft.

agpilot34 said:
I agree that age has alot to do with incidents like this. The aircraft that Chalk's flies were never designed to have a 60 year lifespan in commercial service. True, this particular incident may be the result of other factors, but the age factor is something that is going to have to be addressed at some point. A friend of mine was killed a couple months back in a T-6 down in Florida. He was a passenger when a wing separated. Once again, structural failure on a 50 or 60 year old aircraft.

There was corrision found on the wing attach angle on that particular incident. Their other aircraft came thru the wing dye penetrant test just fine and they are of the same year and roughly the same flight time (two of them 21 serial numbers from the accident airplane). There were other factors involved with that particular airplane other than age. I lost a good friend on that one too, in fact I trained him on the mighty Texan.

To answer the OP's question, yes I would hop into a Chalk's airplane after it has been inspected.

Latest resources

Back