Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CFIs, did you use 1 or 2 AC on the ride?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

TEXAN AVIATOR

Bewbies
I've got my CFI ride creeping up on me now after having to reschedule with the FAA due to problems on their part. I'm trying to decide whether to perform the flight portion of the practical in the complex, or to break it up in both complex & strait leg.

The strait leg has a few less things to remember, but he could ask me to perform spins (which I'm comfortable with, but not something I particularly want to perform with a Fed in the other seat.)

The complex would mean I'd only have one aircraft to memorize, opposed to two. But he can't ask spins of me in the 172RG and I could possibly get the ride done quicker. I just have done almost all complex flying in the Arrow III, so it's not a extremely familiar aircraft.

I just realize that I'm in for a beating of a oral and want the flight to be as stress free as possible for myself.

Advice is appreciated, fly safe..

TA:cool: :) :D

I just went back in the logbook, because I have flown so many little airplanes, and as I thought I remembered, it was a 172RG.

I did the spin endorsement in a 152 three months earlier, and I had no reason to expect to be asked to perform the spin recovery again, since the fed knew the quality of the CFI candidates he'd seen before me.

I was well prepared, and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. That fed now teaches DPE class out in Oaklahoma City. Sharp guy, and good pilot.

My vote: do the complex airplane.

rumpletumbler said:
Ask the examiner who is giving you the ride. Most of them will just want to see the signoff.
Here you normally don't know whom it's going to be right off the bat; but it's known that one of the Feds makes everyone perform spins if in the strait leg.

I don't understand the question. You have to take your CFI ride in a complex airplane. What's all this about straight leg?

Maybe you stated the reason in your first post and I just missed it, but why can't you do your ride in the Arrow III? That's the aircraft I did my ride in. The examiner just wanted to see the spin endorsement and we covered spins in the oral. Good luck!

do all in one, I think the fed will like that too
less of a hassle and he knows you can fly a 172
he'll do most of the flying, what they wanna see is whether or not you follow checklists and such
I don't know anyone who failed a flight portion of a CFI ride, it's mostly just a formality

labbats said:
I don't understand the question. You have to take your CFI ride in a complex airplane. What's all this about straight leg?
A lot of guys do all maneuvers in the strait leg and just demonstrate a few touch and goes in the complex.
Flying Illini said:
Maybe you stated the reason in your first post and I just missed it, but why can't you do your ride in the Arrow III?
I'm at a different school for my CFI.. This FBO doesn't have a Arrow.

I did my whole ride in an arrow II. It took about an hour. It was worth it to me not to have to switch aircraft, do two preflights, etc. The less time you spend outside in Texas in the afternoon the better. If your worried about doing the maneuvers in the complex because of the gear etc you need more practice.

The FAA in Houston began requiring stall/spin demonstrations a few years ago when they perceived a deficiency in this area so you had to actually demonstrate the maneuvers in an aircraft approved for spins. I think they also started doing all the initial CFI checkrides for this reason.

Call the examiner/Fed and ask him if he will require the spin demonstration or if he will be satisfied with the endorsement. If you have to do the spins you are up to two aircraft anyway.

Good luck.

I've never heard of an examiner asking for a spin demo myself. That's not to say it's never happened, just that I'm unfamiliar with it.

I've also never heard of anyone using a non-complex plane on the ride. If you are just using the complex for landing demos, what's the difference which plane you use for the rest of the flight? Set up a set manifold and rpm and forget it. It's more trouble than it's worth and seems unprofessional IMO.

Latest resources

Back