Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CFIs, did you use 1 or 2 AC on the ride?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I did my commercial up in the mountains; the day of my Commercial the density altitude on the field was 9600’. The arrow would not climb at all! I mean I’m 6’1 225, the DPE was 6’5 280 and we could only get about 200FPM in the climb so we did half in the Arrow, half in Katana.

Thanks for the advice gentlemen I think I’m going to get up in the RG with a few other CFI candidates this week and stick with the one aircraft.

Fly safe,
TA

Best of luck

Vladimir Lenin said:

he'll do most of the flying,

Is that the norm? 'Cause I had to fly and instruct during the whole ride. Not once did he touch the controls. And I did mine in a C172RG after 4 hours and 2 mechanical issues (missing gear door spring on the preflight and a dead mag during the run-up). Talk about exhausting.

When I flew to the airport the FSDO was at, I was on my flare when about 5-6 deer ran into the middle of the runway. I didn't have time to go around and flat spotted the tires. After 6 hours of oral exam and a 20 min lunch, we flew. He didn't touch anything, and I never stopped talking.

You know that's interesting. I had a relatively short oral for the ride. Granted it was right after 9/11 - when I took the oral on 9/13 beacuse we couldn't fly it was only about an hour. (and I was a numbskull and brought an expired chart to the oral....Luckily he let that go beacuse of everyone's feelings. One of the terrorists trained at my flight school) The flight was 4 days later.

I took the CFI ride in March as you know and I used a Cessna Skyhawk for the maneuvers and a Beechcraft Sierra for the landings. The examiner didn't care that I used two planes because he is used to giving the ride and this a normal thing to do.

I showed the Inspector the spin endorsement and was not asked a single question or asked to demonstrate spins. Remember that if the Inspector doesn't like your explaination of spins, he will require you to demonstrate spins. I wouldn't sweat it too much..

Don't worry too much about your oral, I would be suprised if it lasted more than 3 1/2 hours. For some reason the feds have been letting up on the CFI rides. On my flight portion of the ride I was asked to explain and demonstrate maneuvers and after doing so was told to critique and evaluate the Inspector after he performed maneuvers. Just relax and be prepared for the FOI stuff as well as the dreaded what would you do questions.

Good luck and lettuce (funny) know how you do.

I have a question, what the heck is a straight leg?

I recommend doing the entire checkride in one airplane. I think it would be less stressful. Plus as you say you cant spin an RG so one less thing to worry about.I did my initial CFI in a twin so I wasn't worried about him asking me to recover from a spin in a Duchess. Plus Lazy 8s and 8s on pylons are easier in an airplane with a constant speed prop.

A straight leg is an airplane with down and welded gear.

I did my ride in two different aircraft and wouldn't recommend it. Mucho added complexity on an already brain-bending day, with little benefit. If you can execute 8s on Pylons in a Cessna, you can do it in an Arrow with minimal practice. Less to memorize, less to preflight, less paperwork, less chance of mechanical problems, less to screw up.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back