CFII Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cougar6903

Does a CFII have to be IFR current to give instrument instruction if VFR and not on a IFR flightplan? Doing VFR tracking. timed turns, etc. Don't have the regs with me on the road.

Nope. Does a pilot have to be instrument current to practice IFR procedures (approaches/holds/etc) in VFR? or a CFI.

That kinda thing happens all the time. No biggie.

-mini

Heck, a CFII doesn't even need to be IFR current to give instruction (to a current instrument pilot) in solid IMC.

As a follow up-

An instrument rated pilot who is out of currency (more than 6 months - less than 12) and shoots approaches in IMC in an aircraft he is rated for (SEL and IFR rated)with an instructor (CFII), cannot log pic time ( as sole manipulator PIC), but can log Actual.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

NYCPilot said:
As a follow up-

An instrument rated pilot who is out of currency (more than 6 months - less than 12) and shoots approaches in IMC in an aircraft he is rated for (SEL and IFR rated)with an instructor (CFII), cannot log pic time ( as sole manipulator PIC), but can log Actual.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

You're wrong. You are still thinking that a person must be able to ACT as PIC to LOG PIC. Not the case. 61.51(e) merely says: "A pilot may log PIC when he is manipulating the controls of an aircraft for which he is rated."
Nothing here about acting - only logging.

NYCPilot said:
As a follow up-

Correct me if I'm wrong.
As nosehair said, that's wrong. And even this is right:

A non-instrument rated pilot who has never had currency to bein with and hasn't flown even simulated IMC in 8 years shoots approaches in IMC in an aircraft he is rated for (SEL and IFR rated)with an instructor (CFII), can log pic time ( as sole manipulator PIC), and can log Actual.

Ain't this fun?

hmm...so if a pilot isn't instrument rated, but is solo...and winds up "accepting an IFR clearance" to shoot an approach in actual to his airport (if he lives)...

who was the PIC (acting)?

He would have to be because he's sole occupant...

but he couldn't be because he's not instrument rated and he's now on an IFR clearance...

so in the NTSB report after the crash, would it say "the PIC", or would it just say "the dumbarse"?:confused:

-mini

minitour said:
hmm...so if a pilot isn't instrument rated, but is solo...and winds up "accepting an IFR clearance" to shoot an approach in actual to his airport (if he lives)...

who was the PIC (acting)?
He was. he was just doing it unlawfully. Remeber the rules say that you are =not allowed= to act as PIC if..., not that =you are not= PIC if...

midlifeflyer said:
He was. he was just doing it unlawfully. Remeber the rules say that you are =not allowed= to act as PIC if..., not that =you are not= PIC if...

thanks...brain fart

-mini

Latest resources

Back