CFII (Initial) Checkride

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
minitour said:
I think I counted 11 or 13 inop stickers in the Duchess...hilarious...can't wait for tomorrow

-mini

The duchess i flew was similar - though nothing was placarded.

Me: "What does this do? (or, 'What is this?')"
Instructor: "Not sure, but don't worry, it doesn't work".

Covered a few items like that :)

Hey mini I saw 'ol Juan Carlos on news 9 the other day talking about how the govt. screwed him, what does he do down there at Airman? I see him parked down there alot but i never see him instructing or anything.

Youens said:
Hey mini I saw 'ol Juan Carlos on news 9 the other day talking about how the govt. screwed him, what does he do down there at Airman? I see him parked down there alot but i never see him instructing or anything.

Honestly no idea...not sure if he's an instructor or not...

-mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350DRIVER
I don't even think the Pope with many prayers could pull off all the multi and CFI training in one day as well as both checkrides during that same day. You surely are going to stamp your name all over that place if you pull it off, surely it hasn't been done more than once before!!.

Four words to ya:

Balls To The Walls!

Power up, clean up, identify, verify, feather, secure ... if I say it enough it sounds easy

I just recently took my commercial single with multi add-on check ride in one afternoon. That's no big deal except that I did all the multi training in a BE-95 Travelair during the 2 hours before dark the previous evening and then again in the morning for 1.7 in a different BE-95 and then had to take the checkride in yet another BE-95 a few hours later. I was scared sh**less! I nailed the checkride I guess because everything was so fresh in my mind and I felt like being shifted between 3 different Travelairs (Switches, avionics, etc.. inconsistent) was a reasonable thing to be nervous about. I just gave it a go and was pleasantly surprised.

Ona different note:
One thing of interest that minitour mentioned was thinking about UNOS over and over during his vacuum failure and compass turns.
BEWARE!! I failed my instrument ride because that was the only way I was used to doing it. My DPE took my gyros 5 miles out enroute to a hold to enter a VOR approach. The VOR was on the edge of a lake on a windy bumpy day for the appraoch into AND (Anderson,S.C.). With the continuous light and moderate chop the UNOS (which I was a master of) just wasn't working out. I ended up on the wrong side of the hold without realizing it! (That will also happen if you try a straight-in when you should be entering parallel, just when you think your rolling out for the outbound leg you're actually crossing directly above the VOR fix and will probably miss the split second CDI switch)
So, food for thought, know when to TIME those turns instead of UNOS and be very carefull about entering holds properlly when it's windy. I entered straight in instead of parallel because I used my heading indicator instead of true course which until this day, I don't know a good way to determine true couse quckly in IMC in a low tech plane.

Ahh. The double II ride. I remember it as being the shortest ride in history for a rating. 12 minutes, according to the hobbs meter. Twelve minutes. ..............Probably one of the few times where the applicant intimidated the examiner and the examiner was a GADO chief. Was fun.

gkrangers said:
I agree with mcjohn about UNOS and timed turns.

When its smooth air I rely on UNOS alot, and time for the small corrections.

But in very choppy conditions I plan to apply timed turns more.

Absolutely!

The things I wanted to cover doing an instructor ride:
What, How, When, Why

Part of the "Why" and "When" was devoted to compass vs. timed turns.

A few things to keep in mind:
1. If you're being vectored in a no-gyro situation, you should be asking for no-gyro vectors. One of my comments was that, while you don't have to declare an emergency for lost gyros, you should certainly treat it as one.

2. If you're shooting a full procedure approach no-gyro, the timed turns will work just fine. If you're doing a teardrop PT it's 10 seconds, the 45/180 PT it's 15 seconds at standard rate.

If you've got relatively smooth air and the compass isn't bobbing around the whole time, you can do the compass turns and compensate with UNOS and then of course if you miss a heading, just using timed turns should work out for ya.

I agree with you though...I had to do a PP approach today during the ME ride (I opened my mouth and asked, "is there a PP one engine approach?" - his response, "why...do you want one?") and I was getting my @$$ kicked in the chop and had to go to timed turns to get it to work out...but I also explained why I wasn't using the UNOS method today and the examiner seemed happy that I realized wtf was going on...and no he didn't make me do the PP approach OEI, it was my two engine approach.

-mini

Good thinking! The 1st time those concepts ever crossed my mind was after my failure. However, I can't beleive you asked the examiner that question. I thought it was practically mandetory to do an engine out approach.

Anyway congrats! I just passed my CFI initial. Can't wait to start instructing which is funny because you guys sure ripped me a new one on the PFT issue a month or so ago when I mentioned how I didn't want to instruct and was exploring PFT options and trying to defend them. Actually, I think you were one of the nicer guys. Now I'm a CFI and I've spent about 30 grand in two years and hope to spend no more. I want my CFII and MEI to be given to me by my employer eventually or off I go to allATPs.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back