CFII (Initial) Checkride

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

minitour

For those of you that were wondering, I passed the -II ride today (5 days after my CSEL ride).

Oral -
FOI stuff. Know it cold...the guy with me didn't really know it well and he got a lot more questions than I did. I was worried going into it because of the FOI stuff, but once we got started I was able to relax and just go with the flow.

IFR stuff -
Chart symbols: He really didn't hit these up a bunch, I knew them anyway, so I think after a few he just went on with the oral.
Regs: Know the flight plan requirements (alternates, equipment suffixes, etc) and 91.173, 91.175, 91.183, 91.185 as well as you can. Also know your inspection requirements.
Vacuum/Pitot-Static System: I got the Pitot-Static System. Kept the drawing as simple as I could. Know the errors and how to fix them if you can. For the Vacuum system, just know how the gyros are mounted and how the vacuum system works for your airplane (C172 in my case - simple).

Flight -
He did the engine start, taxi, takeoff, first approach and the miss (including the hold) with me teaching. Not a whole lot I could do. We flew the ILS 17R at OKC (fairly simple approach when you've got ADF and DME). He had it nailed all the way down the slide so it was just me saying "great job, make small corrections...two to three degree turns to keep the LOC centered and 100RPM increases or decreases if you need to keep the GS centered...good...we'll get you signed off in no time (he actually chuckled at that one)"

For the hold, I got the correct entry (tear drop) and had him correct for the wind (we were tracking a radial outbound) but not the speed. I had him go one minute out on the entry. When I checked our ground speed on the DME, it was 60kts outbound and 140kts inbound. Got it worked out though...ended up at :53 inbound. I know it's not exactly a minute, but it was close enough to make him happy.

After that, we were getting vectors for LOC 3 at OUN. He did me an unusual attitude where I taught the recovery so it took longer than I typically liked. I wanted to make sure I pointed out that I was cross-checking the ALT unwinding and the airspeed going up and the DG/Turn Coordinator indicating a turn. Then I told him, "to correct, it's power to idle, level the wings and start pulling up...once the VSI needle reverses its trend, you can put the power back in and get your positive rate of climb going".

Right after I recovered, he put me back on the assigned heading (140) and took my gyros. LOC 3 no gyro...no problem. A few compass turns (where I was constantly saying "UNOS" on every turn). Then we got the 060 - 3,000 'til established cleared approach circle 17 (wind 19016G26 at the time), got needle movement, down to 2600...cross the marker (used DME to "officially" mark the OM/FAF) down to 1640. When I got down to 1750 he had me go visually and I was at 1700 when I got the foggles off...stayed at 1700 around the pattern, explaining why and a decent landing (my first "good" one from the right side) to finish it off.

Got the handshake after we taxi'd in (the scenic route - way the hell down to E to cross 3/21 and then back up to B to park) and shut down.

It was cool...I only had to wear the hood for the no gyro approach and unusual attitude and he wore it for the rest of the flight (which was neat).

All in all a good ride and thanks to everyone for the help lately.

-mini

PS
The bastage didn't even ask me how to know when you're under class Bravo airspace...*grumble grumble*

just curious

how did you do a II ride 5 days after comm ride at only 170 hours?

and how a II before CFI??

Kream926 said:
just curious

how did you do a II ride 5 days after comm ride at only 170 hours?

Part 141 baby.....oh yeah :D

Actually going into the checkride, my TT (I don't put FTD time in TT column in my logbook...if I need it later, I'll add it in for the 8710 or application) was 182.6 (haven't updated online since I added in my time past the CSEL ride).

So with the 1.5 from my -II ride that's what 184.1? I think that's right...I'll let logbook pro figure it out later.

-mini

PS
Thanks guys!

im 141 too dude
i thought 190 TT for comm min

why the hell am i going to do 3 stg's of cfi training, where do i sign up?

i thought all 141 syllabi (plural for syllabus?) were the same

Last edited:
Kream926 said:

Doesn't matter which ride you do first. I did my MEI first and added on my CFI and II later.

The CFI and II add-ons were painfully easy. My CFI ride was .6 on the Hobbs if I remember correctly.

Oh, I almost forgot, congrats Mini!

Kream926 said:
im 141 too dude
i thought 190 TT for comm min

why the hell am i going to do 3 stg's of cfi training, where do i sign up?

i thought all 141 syllabi (plural for syllabus?) were the same

Nope...they're approved by the FAA. We've got a "reduced training program" for the CSEL (70 training hours) here. The down side is it takes FOR EV ER! They've only got 2 172RGs and they're both down due to cracked gear actuators (that ought to hurt the bank account huh?).

The CFII as an initial is 15 hrs of training and 18 hours of ground (in our syllabus anyway). Then the CFI is a Part 61 add-on (proficiency only)...some have been known to get 1 CFI flight and signed off...at least that's the rumor.

-mini

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back