CFI scared of 152s.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
midlifeflyer said:
The only time I've ever been scared in an airplane was in a 150152. I will not teach in one. But, of course that's in Colorado where the little power plant feels much, much smaller. I have no problem with them at sea level airports.
Hey! I thought they had an AD restricting them from making Take-Offs in Colorado.

nosehair said:
Hey! I thought they had an AD restricting them from making Take-Offs in Colorado.

I saw a 150 in Leadville CO once. (10,000 msl) It had a few mods though. There was a TSIO-550 on the nose, a J-85 in the tail, complete with afterburner, and there were JATO bottles duct taped to the fuselage. Had a right nice climb rate. :nuts:

I was under the impression that if you were claustrophobic and ended up in a 152 you could just open the window and stick your head out the side, because it's so slow the wind is not a factor. (Just watch out for bugs.)

152s are cool, and by cool I mean totally sweet. It's easy to put into the hangar when I'm done with it. I just pick it up and carry it inside. It's also very easy to steer. With enough aileron you don't need any rudder input to take off, which is good because it means I don't have to bother adjusting the seat. On windy days it's perfectly safe - If the engine fails, we turn into the wind, and the airplane will hover. Loading lots of luggage for a flight in the 152 is a breeze. You just put everything in suitcases, lock the suitcases so nothing happens to them, take the suitcases to fedex and give them to the lady behind the counter, then go to the airport and get your airplane. By the time you get to your destination the bags will already be there! And it doesn't cost you any fuel, either.

I've flown 152's in three different places. The place I first flew them had great maintenance. The airplanes were kept in about as new condition as is possible for a 28 year old airplane. I flew a 152 from Aero-Tech in Lexington. It was in decent condition. Not as pristine as the one I flew in the first place, but it flew great. Then I went and flew the 152s at KHUF. Those were some of the worst airplanes I ever saw or flew. Transponders falling out of the dash, maintenance squawks being signed off as fixed and finding the item still broken next time I got in, and radios on the fritz every time we got in. I think the 152 design was a good one, but some people have not given them the TLC that is required for an airplane that is old. You are a responsible adult who I'm sure is capable of making your own decisions. Best of luck in this one. The 152 is a great airplane, but some folks just don't like them. It doesn't make anyone less or greater than anyone else.

Airway, some of these posts (including mine) were meant to be constructive.

Like any airplane, the Cessna 152 has limitations. Because it is a light airplane, it has lots of them. The design has proven to be well suited to the role it was meant for, but there's nothing wrong with just not liking the airplane.

Your initial post left the impression that you doubted the structural integrity of the aircraft and that you were consequently left with a fear of the act of flying. Subsequent posts have revealed the very tangible problem of an operator who's lack of maintenance leaves the aircraft in an unairworthy condition.

I have been in that situation myself and finally recognize the feeling you describe in your first post. I believe it is caused by the stress created when the desire to pursue a career you love and the need to eat comes in conflict with the feeling that you are compromising your integrity. Your statement regarding your responsibility for your student's safety demonstrates your integrity.

There is only one cure for it, and its a tough one. After taking the cure though, you will not only feel much better but also be a more self-assured and confident aviator.

Go to the boss today and express your concern that the poor quality of the maintenance has reached the point that the aircraft are unairworthy. Express your willingness to do anything you can to improve the situation. You have a responsibility to your students, yourself, and even your boss to do this. In a perfect world, the boss would appreciate your honesty and professionalism and know that improving this situation is in everyone's best interest. But we both know that he or she has already made a conscious decision to operate the aircraft in this condition and is not likely to change. If the person indicates that is the case, give them your two week notice.

Doing this without another job already lined up is a very hard thing to do. But when you walk out of there you will feel a great weight lifted off your shoulders. You now have the knowledge to accurately access the quality of your next prospective employer and the peace of knowing that your conscience will stop bothering you.

Or maybe I'm way off base and your concerns were the result of indigestion caused by the bean burrito you happened to have for lunch that day.

I actually do have a desire to help. My previous post was sincere and was not meant to deflate your ego or pump up mine.

Last edited:
It would be perfect if it had a pull starter.

A J-3 without electrical system still beats all.
(electrical start is for wussies)

CE

Latest resources

Back