Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

T/SF34/A

Corner Office Retired
Getting to be that time again. Anybody been to the ASF FIRC's lately or any other CFI refreshers that you would recommend?

How about the online method. I'm really not interested in sitting in front of a computer for 16 hours. Rather sit with a group and interact. Any comments about the online method?

Thanks

I did the American Flyers online FIRC about a month ago. It was REALLLLY boring but worked for me because I was pressed for time, and it was cheap :)
You don't have to sit in front of the computer for the whole 16 hours, just get up every 10 minutes or so and click "next" then when the time requirement for that chapter is up take the quiz.
Hope that helps some.

If you'd " Rather sit with a group and interact" then that should answer your question for you.

I've done ASF in the group and Gleim online. Both were worthwhile. The online method gives you more flexibility to do it between other tasks at your own pace (with Gleim you don't =have to= stay online for 16 hours).

Like you, I enjoy the group interaction. For me, doing one or the other has more to do with how much time I have than anything else.

Although the interaction method is preferred my schedule is kind of tight due my slave drivers at work. It's hard to actually get two days off in a row here...espicially on the weekends.

Thanks for the replies...

Last edited:
I just renewed my certificate by taking my list of practical test signoffs to the local FSDO.

This may not be an option for you but if it is, it is very easy.

This one could get exspensive but it only takes a few hours. Just fill out an 8710 and find a DE and a/c and do a checkride for one of the ratings you have on your Instructor cert. Its kinda pricey but only takes a few hrs. I did this cause I was pressed on time. Since I am a 121 pilot I just redid my CFII ride since shooting approaches is what we do anyways. Just took like 3 hrs and you get to fly so its not boring.

Oh yeah think I forgot to mention. This will renew all of the ratings on your Instructor cert. Not just the one you did the ride about.

You can consider the NAFI (National Association of Flight Instructors) Master CFI program.

It takes a good deal of effort and has to be renewed every two years. However, by being awarded the MCFI you can go to the local FSDO and exchange your old CFI ticket for a new one.

Once you have been given the MCFI the first time, the subsequent renewals won't be so hard if you "build your portfolio" as you go.

Here is the link: Good luck...

http://www.nafinet.org/mastercfi/index.html

Whatever you do, don't be a dumb-bass and let it expire like someone I know......
the process of getting it back is a pain.....

Latest resources

Back