CFI Reinstatement

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Iceman07

I had my CFII and MEI for many years (>1500 hours instructing) but, stupid, stupid, stupid, I let it lapse about 4 years ago.

Anyone here ever do a CFI re-instatement? I talked to a Designee last night, and he basically told me to prepare a full PP sylabus. Huh? My initial CFI checkride did not require a full sylabus.

TIA
Rich

Iceman07 said:
Huh? My initial CFI checkride did not require a full sylabus.

?huh?...your initial CFI checkride required that you have the knowledge of the Private and Commercial syllabus...

What the particular examiner tested you on was his individual preference, but you had to be able to show knowledge and skill on any subject covered in those PTS books. That's what you still have to do.

As with any flight test for a certificate or rating, EVERYTHING in the PTS is fair game! The examiner is required to select TASKS as noted in the appropriate PTS. The holder of an expired instructor certificate may be issued a new certificate by successfully completing the practical test for any rating on that certificate.

§ 61.199 Expired flight instructor certificates and ratings.

(a) Flight instructor certificates. The holder of an expired flight instructor certificate may exchange that certificate for a new certificate with the same ratings by passing a practical test as prescribed in §61.183(h) of this part for one of the ratings listed on the expired flight instructor certificate.

I suggest reviewing the CFI PTS and assuring yourself that you can pass every TASK for the ratings on your CFI certificate. As a practical matter, a designee will not typically apply the same level of scrutiny to a re-issue ride as that which we have come to expect from an initial issuance ride. Nevertheless, preparation is the key to success! If the designee told you to prepare for a test which will concentrate on the private pilot syllabus, he's cutting you a break. Do well on that and you may not have to prove your proficiency and teaching ability on crazy eights, chandeliers or non-precision circling approaches. Take what has been offered and be happy!

Best,

Last edited:
Iceman07 said:
I had my CFII and MEI for many years (>1500 hours instructing) but, stupid, stupid, stupid, I let it lapse about 4 years ago.

Anyone here ever do a CFI re-instatement? I talked to a Designee last night, and he basically told me to prepare a full PP sylabus. Huh? My initial CFI checkride did not require a full sylabus.

TIA
Rich

Do you have your AGI, BGI, or IGI?

NW_Pilot said:
Do you have your AGI, BGI, or IGI?

No, no and no.

And to the first few comments:

I don't have any problem at all with any portion of the sylabus, what he asked me to do was prepare the entire sylabus and present it to him. In fact, what he said was: "Prepare a lesson plan" to which I replied: "OK, any particular subject?" He then said: "No, I want a lesson plan for the entire Private Pilot course, everything from A to Z".

Did I missunderstand what he was asking me for? Should I simply show up with a Sporty's or a King PP sylabus? How about a 141 sylabus?

This, BTW was not a check ride. I wanted to try and get a feel for what a re-instatement checkride might be like.

Unless I am wrong and I can be! Can't you just get your AGI, BGI Or IGI and that will reinstate your certificate?

What is the point about the Ground Instructor? I have mine and am getting ready for my CFI...Is there any benefit?

As far as the lesson plans go, the Aviation instructors handbook states that you can use commercially prepared material for the practical...but I'd ask first, wouldn't want to start a test by setting off an examiner.

Darn good question, that. I do know that if I got, say, my CFIG, that would automatically reinstate the CFI/I/MEI.

And, as I understand it, the examiner cannot require me to do anything except the basic CFI. i.e. he cannot ask me to do a CFII checkride or a MEI checkride.

NW_Pilot said:
Unless I am wrong and I can be! Can't you just get your AGI, BGI Or IGI and that will reinstate your certificate?

Not according to my fars.

But it seems like you should be able to pick what pratical you would take, ie instrument or multi.

Maybe your instructor just gave you the introduction he is used to give or got himself. Its pretty common that CFI candidates work their way through all the material by making lesson plans for everything. I used the MEI/CFI PTS and made lesson plans for each subject therein, as it covers everything for both CPL and Private. If you ask around, I'm sure you can find some CDs or .zip-files from other instructors, with all the material you need as inspiration for your own folder.

On my instructor checkrides I've never had to show any of the material I've made however. Its just been on the table to make the impression of being well prepared.

But at least you should bring Jepp or King syllabuses, examples of stage exams, curriculums, training standards, examples of pre-solo written tests, 61-65E, and a nice little touch is to bring accident reports and discuss what students usually mess up on. (something like 75% of training accidents in Florida are caused by student pilots on their first or second supervised or first cross country solo).

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back