• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

cfi question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
THat may be, but "235" is not an aircraft designation. I flew a piper pawnee PA-25-235, but certainly never called it a 235. I've flown a number of airplanes with 235 rated powerplants, but never called them 235's, either. Then again, I didn't elect to call the C-97 a 4360, the P2 a 3350, or the 4Y a 2600...Perhpas we could apply that logic to type ratings, too? Earn a Lear type and you're not really typed in a LRJET, but rather a TFE-731. That will get you into a little over half the business jet fleet out there.

At least then you can refer back breezily to the last flight and say, "Yeah, there I was, flyin' that 731 around the pattern when the air in the left radome inverted and I had to take over manually and skid her to a hover with one hand...yeah, that's the ticket, I was busy, er, busy, ah, busy changing a passengers' baby's diaper with the other hand and the little tyke was well on his way, let me tell you. That's the ticket. Kind of reminds me of the time in nepal in that other 731 when I was being followed by a 235 that wouldn't answer his radio when I asked any inbound traffic to please advise..."

There are a few differences between the 235 and 236 besides the one horsepower

Its not that one engine has more power the difference is the wing on the airplane. The 235 has the straight "hersey bar" wing and Pipers with the semi tapered "hersey bar" are designated with and extra number added. Ex. PA28-160 vs. PA28-161. Same engine.....

does not knowing that it is a pa-28-235 have any impact on the story? what does it matter. it's a cherokee 235. if it really makes a difference to the story, i'll post the N number, color, and equipment suffix. :rolleyes:

i was just asking a question in the first place.

...by the way, it's a pathfinder. not sure what the differences between a pathfinder and dakota are, if any. not that it matters. it's still a cherokee.

I think Pathfinders were only produced in the first year of the -235 series....then it became known as the more recognized Dakota. :D

Hey Starvin' Marvin, you know which direction they 'landed'? Sometimes I'll park my car @ the fence on the south side with some good music on and watch people bang em' in. Guess I missed a show....and a possible mid-uh, ground collision.

They would have been glad to run into my car though as far as worth....lets just say no paperwork would be filed!

T-hawk

The CFI that was with him will have a little fun with the FAA on a 709 ride. It is not a question of "if" but a question of "when". I surely would know the aircraft inside and out if I was a CFI and being "paid" to provide flight instruction.

Depending on the FAA review of records/logs you may or may not have to give a statement since you did ( as you stated) provide instruction to him regardless of whether or not you signed him off.

3 5 0

Well since you invited, I will speak. It always helps to be specific when asking for help. Perhaps if your friend had been more specific he wouldn't have jeopardized his career.

BTW, Avbug , wasn't the Dakota a twin engine tail-dragger that carried Pathfinders to the DZ?

..and never been in a 235...which is not a cherokee six.

Well, I have found that a lot of people mistake the various planes in the Cherokee family, and the 235/236 and the Six have similarities without being the same aircraft. I have friends who have both a Dakota and a Six. If you know what you're looking at, the differences are easy to see. Just trying to help out. :)

Most of the time, the longer tapered wing is pretty docile on landing, and the hershey bar wing, which is shorter, takes more finesse, as it is more "brick like". Certainly fuel management is critical on the Pipers compared to the "both" setting on your garden variety Cessna fuel valve.

If you gave no instruction in the aircraft, I would not be concerned.

Latest resources

Back