Cfi Question - Takeoffs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

seattle

I'm working towards a CFI certificate and it's causing my brain to think about all kinds of strange questions. So here goes……

Why don't we use short field takeoff procedures for every departure?

On the surface it would seem like a safer way to operate. I've been told to incorporate some features for standard takeoffs such as starting the takeoff roll from the end of the runway. But I wouldn't apply full power before brake release and climb at Vx for an everyday takeoff.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Seattle

Some flight schools do their standard takeoff as a short field. They think it is safer, I disagree.

I have no problem with using all the runway you can, but when it boils down to a Vx vs. Vy climb, I'd rather be at Vy.

I think having more altitude is safer then being close to the airport. A Vx climb will keep you closer, but after 10 seconds a Vy climb will have you higher. Altitude is insurance.

Also, in a Vx climb you have the flaps down and are going slower. The speed alone would be bad enough if the engine failed.

Vx = Higher pitched nose which means you have an obscured view forward in the high-traffic area called the pattern
Vy = better forward visibility, better engine cooling.

Nothing wrong with a Vx climb through 500'AGL though.

This isn't really a safety issue, but in some planes (such as the Duchess), if I do a maximum performance takeoff - I'm gonna scare the crap out of any non-pilot passengers in the plane. The pitch attitude to maintain Vx is VERY high! I once did one with a private pilot in the right seat, and he about screamed. But boy is it a lot of fun!

Airspeed and Altitude

With a standard takeoff I will have more of both in the event of an emergency.

Also, taxiing to the end of an 8000 foot runway is overkill if you only need 2000 feet. If I did that I'd never make an intersection departure.

There's definitely a place for short field takeoff's. Short fields.

Latest resources

Back