Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Bringupthebird

Grumpy? Who-Me?
Does a CFI need a BFR if he renews his CFI online and uses his "evaluation of other pilots" clause as the basis for his CFI flight portion of the renewal? Are there any circumstances where a CFI would require a BFR?

Bringupthebird said:
Does a CFI need a BFR if he renews his CFI online and uses his "evaluation of other pilots" clause as the basis for his CFI flight portion of the renewal?

Yes. Read 61.56. THere is nothing in there that remotely suggests that an administrative renewal of your instructor certificate would waive the requirement for a flight review.

Bringupthebird said:
Are there any circumstances where a CFI would require a BFR?

Yeah, if he acts as pilot in command, he needs a flight review. What would lead you to believe that a CFI might be exempt from the requirements for a flight review?

If provisions exist that allow a CFI to renew their instructing priviledges without the need for a flight test, why are those provisions inadequate to prove that they can still fly safely? From a purely pragmatic standpoint, why is one CFI going to try to teach and evaluate another CFI on maneuvers and topics they teach on a daily basis?

I would be interested to hear how many CFI's ever get biennials.

Bringupthebird said:
If provisions exist that allow a CFI to renew their instructing priviledges without the need for a flight test, why are those provisions inadequate to prove that they can still fly safely?

Because the law makes no provision for that. It's that simple. You can argue the logic of if he is qualified for one certificate why not the other but it's a purely acedemic arguement. The regulations aren't written that way, so the logic really is irrelevant.

The regulations say you have to have a flight review every two years. The regulations do not allow you to substitute an adminstrative CFI renewal for a flight review.

There's not much more to the issue.

Bringupthebird said:
From a purely pragmatic standpoint, why is one CFI going to try to teach and evaluate another CFI on maneuvers and topics they teach on a daily basis?

from a purely pragmatic standpoint: Because the regulations require it.

Bringupthebird said:

All of them who meet the regulatory requirements to act as a pilot in command

Clue: The FAA regulation does not see 'pilot certificate' the same as 'flight instructor certificate'.

Bringupthebird said:
Does a CFI need a BFR if he renews his CFI online and uses his "evaluation of other pilots" clause as the basis for his CFI flight portion of the renewal? Are there any circumstances where a CFI would require a BFR?

The only portion of the Flight Review requirement waived for a CFI is the ground portion under 61.56(f) if the CFI has completed an approved course for renewal. Otherwise, there is no link between CFI renewal and the requirement for a flight review that I have ever heard of.

Bringupthebird said:
Hopefully all of them get a FR or one of the acceptable substitutes (CFI renewal is not one) or the FAA is going to have some fun with certificate actions.

From a purely pragmatic standpoint, why is one CFI going to try to teach and evaluate another CFI on maneuvers and topics they teach on a daily basis?
From a purely pragmatic standpoint, what makes you think a CFI has already learned everything there is to know about being a pilot and could not use periodic reevaluation and refreshers on piloting skills? And who says that what will be evaluated will be the stuff the CFI teaches on a daily basis?

Bringupthebird said:

I'd be interested in how many CFI's have pencil whipped FRs. I can't tell you the number of "part-time" CFI's who asked me to endorse their FR without ground or flight training as a "professional courtesy". So I was professional and courteous as I told them to get lost.

Most fun I ever had for an hour was flying with another CFI. Probably also proving the old theory that the most dangerous flight is with 2 CFIs at the controls...... :)

The CFI renewal does count towards the ground portion of a BFR, but you still must fly for the minimum 1 hour.

CFIse said:
I'd be interested in how many CFI's have pencil whipped FRs. I can't tell you the number of "part-time" CFI's who asked me to endorse their FR without ground or flight training as a "professional courtesy". So I was professional and courteous as I told them to get lost.
Not only professional and courteous, but appropriate as well. My hat's off to you. :)

Latest resources

Back