• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CFI logging landings

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
On my CFII ride last week, I asked the FSDO guy doing my ride this very question (not that he is the word of the law by any means, just a safety inspector). He said to log them. I usually do, and remark "student" by all that my students did by themselves.

I did. Granted I rented an aircraft enough to stay current on my own. I just added in the remarks for those flights - SE/ME Day/Night Currency. I never got any flak on interviews...

I can certainly understand a CFI being this wrong.

I used to fly with a number of newly-certified MEI/CFII's as right-seaters in a King Air (I logged dual given, they logged dual received.). Some of these geniuses would try to log the landings that I made!

Not to mention how many times I had to tell them,
"No, you cannot log SIC for this;" or,
"Yes, you can log PIC time for the leg you flew in the King Air, even though you weren't the PIC, and even though you don't have a high altitude endorsement."

When pilots screw up, it's pilot error.

But when pilots are screwed up, it's CFI error.

If doctors were trained to the level of quality control that CFIs are trained to in this country, there would be a 75% mortality rate in every hospital in the land.

Have a nice day.

If I do the landing, I log it.

Sometimes I'm demonstrating a landing (be it normal, short/soft field, whatever) and sometimes I'm saving the airplane from becoming a burning pile of aluminum at the approach end of the runway...

If the student slams it on the ground and I didn't have to help, I don't log it.

Aside from a "Self Proficiency Flight" I did the other day to shoot some NDB approaches/Holds, I haven't logged a landing in an airplane in a while.

-mini

mini, I hope it hasn't been more than 90 days since you've done at least 3 if you're doing primary training.

BushwickBill said:
Is there anyone here who has made it beyond CFI that has had logged landings come up as an issue in an interview or during a hiring process?

Yes I have made it past the CFI and I have had many interviews and no it has never come up. Nevertheless just because those interviewers didn't catch it doesn't make it correct. Remember you can log anything that you want, you only need to show currency or proper flight experience for a rating. Just think about it, as an instructor you log the flight time and it is understood that you may or may not ever touch the controls. I can prove currency with my landings in my logbook and the student records I log for my own reasons (curiousity).

midlifeflyer said:
mini, I hope it hasn't been more than 90 days since you've done at least 3 if you're doing primary training.

Nope...logbook pro keeps me well on top of that. :D

It'd been a few weeks since I had done any and that was a trip for dinner...so...still hangin in there. Got a student almost at the point where I can start doing "best landing wins a coke" contests...that should be fun.

-mini

for what it's worth i log every landing. i know when my currency is up i keep track of it in other tabulations in my records. and when my time is up to get current, i do so. we have had 8 instructors depart in the last 2 months and it has never been a problem with logging landings, primarily with students.

Who cares...I logged every landing as a CFI and now I log every landing as a Captain on an RJ. That is sort of like wondering if Southwest is going to care how carefully I logged my IMC time over the past 6 years of flying at my airline. In the same vein, who cares...in 6 years of line flying, I'm sure they understood that I was bound to bump into some clouds and low vis along the way.

-Neal

Latest resources

Back