CFI logging landings

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

greygoose

I stopped by a flight school the other day, and over heard a conversation about a instructor telling his student that he logs all of his students landings. I didn't feel comfortable to step in on the conversation but it sounded like the student knew more what was going on with then the instructor. The instructor claimed that he only had to log the necessary landings for currency, which I do give him credit for but also mentioned that he was ok to log the student landings so he could keep track of how many landings he was responsible for in his CFI Career.
Has anyone heard anything like this before?

Greygoose, please clarify. The instructor logs all of the student's landings? Where does the instructor log these landings - his logbook or the student's? If in his own logbook, does the instructor log these separate than his own landings?

The rule is pretty simple and straightforward. To count landings for currency, the pilot counting them needs to be the sole manipulator of the controls.

So the CFI is only logging them to keep track of how many landings his students are doing? And he uses his logbook as his student record as well as his own?

Sure. Why not. No problem =-IF= something in the CFIs logbook clearly identifies which are and which are not for currency purposes. If he has an incident with a passenger on board and the FAA asks to see his logbook to show passenger-carrying currency, how can the FAA tell them apart?

There really are better ways to keep student records than in your own logbook. I'm curious: does he also log his students solo flights?

Why would the instructor want to log the landings anyway? What good is it?

not to say its right, but to log x/c time with a student, the instructor has to make the landing. If an instructor is trying to get to 135 minimums, then they need to get that 500 x/c somehow.

jaxpilot said:
not to say its right, but to log x/c time with a student, the instructor has to make the landing. If an instructor is trying to get to 135 minimums, then they need to get that 500 x/c somehow.

That's the first time I've ever heard that. I've got probably 300 hours of xcty time where I never actually landed the plane - doesn't mean it wasn't a cross country flight.

(ii) For the purpose of meeting the aeronautical experience requirements (except for a rotorcraft category rating), for a private pilot certificate (except for a powered parachute category rating), a commercial pilot certificate, or an instrument rating, or for the purpose of exercising recreational pilot privileges (except in a rotorcraft) under §61.101 (c), time acquired during a flight—

(A) Conducted in an appropriate aircraft;

(B) That includes a point of landing that was at least a straight-line distance of more than 50 nautical miles from the original point of departure; and

(C) That involves the use of dead reckoning, pilotage, electronic navigation aids, radio aids, or other navigation systems to navigate to the landing point.

Nothing in there about who has to log the landing - just that the aircraft landed at a point beyond yada yada yada.

I could be off base here but I haven't encoutered any problems with my 5.5 hour flights, zero logged landings, and 5.5 hours of xcty - that's about 900 miles of flying in an Bonanza or Baron...

~wheelsup

Last edited:
wheelsup said:
Nothing in there about who has to log the landing - just that the aircraft landed at a point beyond yada yada yada.
jax may be interpreting from a poorly-written-and-most-likely-incorrect Part 61 FAQ that says that a safety pilot can't log cross country because he's not the one making the landing. I've never heard of it being applied anywhere else either and don't pay much attention to the original.

Latest resources

Back