• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CFI in Chicago?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I find it funny Jim, that in your second post in this thread you are talking as if you are an employee there at the "Fright Center", but after being called on it you admit to who you are.

If I could only count the number of students I have had to "fix" from over there.

To the original poster:

Where are you in the chicago area?

Iceman21 said:
I find it funny Jim, that in your second post in this thread you are talking as if you are an employee there at the "Fright Center", but after being called on it you admit to who you are.

If I could only count the number of students I have had to "fix" from over there.

To the original poster:

Where are you in the chicago area?

Iceman, I know exactly what you mean.

Did you ever work for Jim? Or have you ever been over into his hangar?

Jim, if that is you, you're a douche...

And for all that even consider going to this place, please do your research... I worked at one of the other (what are there 13?) flight schools on the field. Always made for a fun time trying to retrain one of this tool's students when they came over after "feeling a little uncomfortable with that place"...

Didn't you use to run an ad about doing acro in your Beech? You teach that yourself, what with all your aerobatic expertise and experience?

Hi, I'm fairly new here and noticed the post from another forum (studentpilot.com). I live about 2 minutes away from PWK and also got my PPL there with a place called Airway Flight Services. I guess they recently closed down but it was a great place to learn and rent from. Eventually I found a better price over at 06C (Schaumburg), however they do some price juggling imo which I don't like very much and for the 30 minute drive there decided to see what was once again available at PWK and other airports.

I checked Lake in the Hills, Campbell, and PWK. Rates are very similar of course being higher at PWK, but in terms of driving to the other airports it just might be worth it for me. Originally, before I left PWK for 06C I heard bad stuff about the Flight Center and that kept me from checking out there...behold the power of the internet I guess. Then in the last year I guess they're now owned or changed names to Palwaukee Flyers and a couple people I spoke with have said that many of the problems have been corrected which were there. Not sure about that, but decided to give them a go around...I can only speak from a renters POV. I was checked out in a fair amount of time I would say, the whole process took less than two hours, so if they were trying to milk me for money, then I don't see it. The planes seem to be in ok condition...actually they look great from the outside and pretty average from the inside. I thought the 172SP's would look sharper, but they looked very similar to the older models, no big deal. Now the Sundowners didn't seem to be in the best shape. Maybe it's just cosmetic on the inside, and other small stuff...but things that should be taken care of it seems. They could use some new parts if only for looks and some functioning equipment or to have that which does not work removed...basically things I notice are...

No step on pilot side on one of the planes
Push to talk buttons not all functioning...sometimes ya gotta reach over.
DME out for a while I guess in at least one plane
ADF out
Doors are notorious for popping open (could be all Sundowners though?)
Rear passenger seats fall over and tumble to the back of the plane upon takeoff. (ok so this one might be bad)

Stuff like that which I guess is ok that it doesn't work, but makes me wonder why nothing is done about it...at least take out the equipment if you never plan on fixing it? That seat falling back was a bit scary though, I mean what if I had a passenger, ya know? That's all kind of lawsuits. In any case, the condition of the Sundowners is seriously making me consider either getting checked out in one of the SP's or going somewhere else to rent. The planes might be legal...but they seem to be pushing the limits, sorry for the bad rant I guess.

And as for Palwaukee, there are 3 schools to learn at, one mentioned above, Palwaukee Wings, and American Flyers. As for renting, American Flyers does not rent, and Wings requires some absurd membership fees for which you still pay the same rates as everywhere else...guess it don't matter to someone who can afford it and they do have a very nice fleet as I hear the service, instructors, and everything else there is excellent...but too rich for my blood. So really that leaves me with one option to rent from at PWK unless I find a small club there and do the time-share like thing which is also out of my price range since I do not fly enough to make it worth it. Ahh well, what to do, what to do....suggestions for a renter?

Biggie you have it mixed up, PWK Wings is closed, and the office was taken over buy Windy City Flyers. I can only guess that you are referring to WCF with the "absurd membership fee". Yeah it's high, but you get nice airplanes with great equipment, that are properly maintained and cared for, and you can take the airplanes anywhere you want.

There's a reason why WCF is still there and many others aren't.

if you can make the drive, UGN has a decent club - Stick & Rudder. PM me if you want details. Also Waukegan Wings has nice planes, but a little pricier (although Stick & Rudder just got a brand new Cherokee with glass cockpit for $115/hr).

Best of luck to the cfi in chicago! Go get em! Keep positive! Surround yourself with positve supportive people! Remember my friends, there are many kids in college wanting to study aviation! is that a bad thing? Hell no! find a mentor, and move on! yes, sometimes you have to hooker yourself out to make it! But keep your dignity!

remember yu got into this business, because you love planes!

Keep it safe and keep it moving! Help the homeless! who have nothing!

Love MissKittyKat!

Latest resources

Back