CFI-G addon

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Prof. ATP

I just completed my CFI-G add-on at Soar Minden. Mostly I had fun, but I did have to take a written (CFI glider add on, 25 questions, just know FAR 61 and the Soaring Flight Manual). The examiner seemed more interested in my MEI experiences, and of course he did most of the flying.

After a week of daily glider flying my first few visual patterns in the King Air 200 were, um, terrible. But glider flying has put a big fun factor back into my flying, and I really recommend it.

I did my CFI-G as my initial way back when and shortly thereafter added the A, II, and ME. You will have a good time. Trust me, soloing a glider student is more nerve racking than an airplane student.

Be careful though, I had a slack rope demo go bad, and ended up with the rope wrapped around a tip wheel. (SGS 2-33) Thank god it was an old rope.

I've got a little over 300 hours in gliders and would love to get back into it.

Got the CFI-G for free because my school uses motorgliders to teach in the curriculum. They are fine, but I have the sense that I haven't done any real glider flying yet. Can't wait to get into it, but I think it's going to have to wait for a couple more years.

-Goose

Hey Goose,

How has your winter training been going? I just registered for Fitchburg SR and have on order a custom steel CX frame. It's going to be a good year.

Sweet!!! Who's making your CX frame?

Winter training has been, well, non-existent. Just went running for the first time in a while yesterday. Sort of forgot about riding temporarily so I could get my 1000 hours (done) and now trying to get as many multi as I can to apply around. I ended up selling my road bike and have been working on a little project to turn my MTB into a singlespeed. Singlespeeding a lot of fun, but have to wait for the snow to come off the trails to really start doing some good riding, which may be a while at the rate things are going. But I bet once that happens, I'll be out every day.

Anyway, good to hear from ya!

-Goose

The CX frame is being built by http://www.zanconato.com/

He really does nice work. I'll be running a single ring up front, top routing for rear brake and derailleur and no bottle braze-ons. Read: for New England racing only.

The CX frame is being built by http://www.zanconato.com/

He really does nice work. I'll be running a single ring up front, top routing for rear brake and derailleur and no bottle braze-ons. Read: for New England racing only.

Ahh, there's just something cool about running a single ring. I don't know what it is. I don't think I'll ever run multiple rings up front again unless I do a lot of vertical mountain biking like I did when I was back home. That's sweet--I knew CX bikes had top routing for the brakes, but I don't think I've ever seen top routing for the rear derailleur. That is cool! Yeah, that sounds like an NE CX machine!

I'm excited for the Tour this summer! It's a shame that I'll probably be in training for most of it. I was excited as soon as I found out that Ivan Basso was on Team Discovery and that he was cleared from taking part in illegal stuff. I'll have to find some kind of balance between that and NASCAR. This will be cool!

-Goose

Yeeaah, looks like I'll need to drag out my lawnmower 'n start with that routine again some more....(sigh)..:p

Latest resources

Back