CFI Expires in April...What to do?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Sppedmode

My CFI expires in April and I was wondering what you guys recommend to renew? I really don't plan on instructing at all, but I'd still like the option to. Anyone recommend a specific seminar or online course. Thanks for your time!

renew it even if you don't plan on instructing. A lot of people right now who were furloughed from a regional didn't plan on needing the money from instructing.

Plus, if I am not mistaken, you need to take a ride with the FAA if you let it expire. That is motivation enough to keep it current.

CFI Renewal

I gather that you are not actively instructing. If you are, you can renew your CFI based on activity. Fill out an 8710 and take it and your instructor records to FSDO. I did that for most of my renewals.

If you know a fed personally, he/she might renew it for you based on personal acquaintance. I did that for my last renewal.

Some feds are willing to renew a CFI during a six-month or other proficiency check. Have your 8710 filled out and approach the ASI nicely. I do NOT believe a company check airman can do it for you. Your POI can do it for you.

You can attend a weekend refresher. AOPA is good.

Generaltso is indeed correct. Let your CFI lapse and you have to go back to the FAA or designee.

Hope that helps a little.

The last post is correct. The best and easiest way to renew is based on activity. If you have had 5 signoffs (ten for Gold Seal) of any kind other than BFR's and endorsements etc. in the last 2 years, you simply fill out the form, give the FSDO a copy of your records and you're on your way.

Another little known method works well if you are working as a Captain for a 121 carrier. They figure that you're always a bit of an instructor in that setting and will renew you by giving you a simple 25 question quiz. It's really easy and no studying is really required. They send you on your way right then and there.

If you have questions you can always call the FSDO.

DON'T DO THIS

This past weekend I did one of those weekend ground schools. It was the most boaring, worthless waste of time. You have to be there for 16 hours and take two very simple 20 question tests. I did it with Aviation Seminars and the instructor was a very poor speaker who did not use correnct english and couldn't pronounce some things. After the first day I had to go out that night and drink heavily until 5am and show up still drunk the next day so I wouldn't want to kill myself. It cost me $150 where I could of done it online for less and it would of been much quicker. I will never go to one of those weekend classes ever again.

Do the Gleim course.

If you cannot renew based on activity or personal aquiantence of an ASI, then do the Gleim refresher on-line. It is cheaper than most of those "weekend" seminars, and you can do it at your own pace, when you want. I used it this past summer to renew my CFI certificate, and I highly recommend it. Print the graduation certificate at home, take it to the nearest FSDO with FAA form 8710, and walk out with a new certificate. Simple.

Regards,
RightBettor

"Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffin' glue!"

Latest resources

Back