Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

sqwkvfr

Baseball junkie
Hey fellas, I've been stressing about an upcoming CFI checkride and I'm hoping to hear from other CFIs about what subjects they got hung up on during their checkrides.

Is there any area that you wish you would have hit a little harder before the checkride?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Best thing is if you know or can find someone who did a recent cfi ride with the same examiner and ask the guy what the examiner asked, what he was picky about etc.

I hear that literally everyone gets asked about the weights on the ailerons and what their purpose is.

I didn't.

My best advice would be to make flashcards of the outline of the book. Have someone quiz you and have you expand on the outline, card for card, question for question. If you can do that, you ace the oral.

Yeah, sorry it's been a while for me. Go through the gleim book. It has an outline of everything you could be asked. Create flashcards with each of the individual parts of that outline. Where I went to school we had to have those memorized and the chief pilot would sit us down and ask us each part, then have us describe some of various ones. I think they had a 98% first time pass rate. When you have the questions memorized, it's hard to say too much or too little on your checkride and get yourself into a bind. Because that is all they are legally allowed to ask you. The outline from the book.

labbats said:
Yeah, sorry it's been a while for me. Go through the gleim book. It has an outline of everything you could be asked. Create flashcards with each of the individual parts of that outline. Where I went to school we had to have those memorized and the chief pilot would sit us down and ask us each part, then have us describe some of various ones. I think they had a 98% first time pass rate. When you have the questions memorized, it's hard to say too much or too little on your checkride and get yourself into a bind. Because that is all they are legally allowed to ask you. The outline from the book.
Beautiful.

I've got the Gleim's in front of me right now...a trip to Target in the morning and I'll be set.

Thank you very much.

I'm about to take my CFI ride and all of the recent applicants at my FBO have said make sure to know aerodynamics and weight and balance very well......

labbats said:
Because that is all they are legally allowed to ask you. The outline from the book.
I disagree. They can ask you anything from the PTS legally. That includes all references in the PTS (Airplane Flying Handbook, ACs, PHAK, etc). The Gliem is good....but it isn't referenced in the PTS.

I'd start at the front of the PTS.

Become very familiar with the special emphasis areas (specifically - Runway incursions & checklist usage) and why they are there. Read up (and perhaps have with you for your oral) the ACs on Wake Turbulence, preflight, weight & balance, etc.

I like the flash card idea. You do a flash card for each task in the PTS and have someone quiz you on it and you should do fine in the oral. The flight is just a commercial checkride from the other seat with more talking. The way I do it is just *say* what I'm *thinking* when I do the maneuvers. What, why, how, when, why again, what to look for, what to do if I d!ck it up...that kinda stuff.

Also, know the endorsement requirements for students, the 61.31 endorsements, know your 91 regs and how they apply. You should have a really strong foundation on basic aerodynamics and weather (my worst subject). The better you know and understand the basics, the easier everything else will be for you.

Oh yeah...one more thing.

RELAX and HAVE FUN!

Good luck with it!

-mini

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back