• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CFI Checkride Notes/Advice

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just passed my CFI initial on 5/4. If there is one piece of advise that I can pass along, it would be KNOW YOUR FOI's!!! My examiner was placed a HUGE emphasis on this topic (1.5-2 hours). Also, I told him (as a student) that I am not perfect and I will make mistakes, but I will be the first one to admit and point out the problem and what should be done to correct it.

As a side note, my FAA examiner was not there to fail me. He wanted me to get my ticket and was very accomodating with his time (due to mx problems). Go into the ride trying to relax and remember to TEACH him the material.

Good Luck!
FlyWest

FOI

The best way to learn the FOI is to eat, sleep, breathe and practice the FOI. I always thought it was just one of those things you have to struggle through en route to your instructor certificates. Then, I started teaching CFI students and actually took time to read the book. The principles work. The FOI really is a way of life for flight instructors. Learn it, apply it, and you'll be a better flight instructor.

Once you pass this initial, and I'm sure you will, don't shove that FOI material under your bed. My examiner, the same one who praised me on my initial, pinked me for not having reviewed that material when I went to him for the II ride. It was the first time I had heard of an examiner doing that, and I haven't heard of another such event since then.

Just a question, when an examiner pinks you, do they write in your logbook?

I went though my friends logbook, and for his first private checkride the DE wrote in big black letters "PRIVATE PILOIT UNSATIFACTORY." I was wondering is that normal, I have yet to get picked.

What I did which turned out for the best is too try and get a DOA letter from the FSDO. When they try to schedule the ride with you, come up with an excuse why you can't take it with them, school, work, available only on weekends, etc. Then go and find a DE who can give the rides and I can almost guarantee you that it'll be shorter and easier. Especially if you know the DE :) My oral lasted about an hour and a half and my flight was a little over an hour. Hope that advice helps.

Latest resources

Back