CFI checkride monday morning.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Relax =)

I did my CFI ride a few months ago, with an eight hour oral. It was a very long day, but it was refreshing when it was over. I chose to fly another day, as the oral physically and mentally wore me out. So all in all, stay relaxed and focused, and you will do great.

I know I'm typing this to you while your taking your checkride, but I wanted to throw in my "Good Luck!"

This will have been easier than what you've previously been through with your other job :)

I can't wait to here how it went!

I firmly believe that examiners who subject check ride candidates to outlandishly long orals should be publicly flogged with a radiator hose.

As a CFI, two things immediately jump to mind when one tells tales of murderously long oral exams.

First the student is not prepared and the examiner is having to dig, rephrase, dig, prod and dig some more… student is either not prepared or does not know the material, oral should be terminated, student busted.

Second the examiner doesn’t know the material or is not prepared.

I’ve heard of many times people being subjected to excessively long orals for no reason anyone could figure out beyond the simple fact that the examiner was trying their hardest to bust someone, that was the only explanation.

If an examiner cannot determine your knowledge inside of two to three hours then something is wrong. Same goes for the practical, two hours tops unless traffic/wx/act-of-god dictates further.

Fortunately I’ve had some really good DE’s in my past even my experience with FAA 135 rides have been good.

I knew the material inside and out. But it was with the "head of safety" as the Detroit FSDO. So she pounded me hard, because of her position, and being the FAA (opposed to a DE).

gizbug said:
Relax =)

I did my CFI ride a few months ago, with an eight hour oral. It was a very long day, but it was refreshing when it was over. I chose to fly another day, as the oral physically and mentally wore me out. So all in all, stay relaxed and focused, and you will do great.

I'd like to get an 8 hour oral too! Where can i get one of those?
:D

sorry :rolleyes:

I'm just getting home after... PASSING MY CFI CHECKRIDE!!!!!

my 8 hour oral was monday, and the 1.7 flight was this morning at 6:30am. I had to leave my house at 4:30 am to get to the FSDO up in Miami at 6:30am monday, and 5am this morning to get to the airport before the examiner did.

The oral promptly started at 6:30am, and I felt that I was on the lightning round for a game show. Just one question after another, not what I expected.

Honestly, the questions came so fast that I have no clue right now what he asked. I recall that he gave me a half hour to do a lesson plan on steep turns and a half hour for lunch, which of course was not included in the 8 hours of oral.

I got tripped up on Parasite Drag of all things... mostly because I was tired. The other thing I got tripped up on was the V-g chart, which after taking "lunch" I was able to explain both Parasite and the V-g chart.

The flight portion was a lot of me flying and the examiner telling me what I was doing wrong.. not quite what I expected, but I passed so, whatever works.

I'm gonna take a break, help fly a king air down to Colombia, and come back and start work on my CFI-I

Thanks for everyone's help here. All the support, makes me feel glad to be part of the community.

b

Latest resources

Back