• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CFI checkride monday morning.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Holy Cow and 8 hour oral!!!! One would have thought the DE had it out for you.

Well Congrats anyways andwelcome to the ranks.:) :)

Congratulations!!

My FAA guy did almost ALL of the flying. He said he knew I could fly by now, and he was there to see if I could TEACH. I guess they all have a different idea of what should happen, even WITH a PTS.

Thanks for posting. We were on pins and needles with the suspense.

Now, go have some Barbeque!!! :D

parasite drag and V-g diagrams?!?!

wow they're stretching their questions......what the hell is the FIA exam for then?

congrats.....don't let your students kill you.

You couldn't afford a DE? Comon man. Can you afford a bust? You passed, congrats... seemed like a tough oral.

But you shouldn't have gone to the FAA if they would have let you do the CFI with a DE. Checkrides are not the time to get cheap. Go with the guy that is going to get you the certificate.

congrats!

Another unemployed flight instructor . .

Congratulations! Nice job! But . . .
Originally posted by scubabri
[M]y 8 hour oral was monday . . . The oral promptly started at 6:30am, and I felt that I was on the lightning round for a game show. Just one question after another, not what I expected . . . . in the 8 hours of oral
(emphasis added)

That is ridiculous. I know of a DE who gives eight-hour CFI orals, but hadn't heard of an FAA eight-hour oral in some time.

Take a break. You deserve it after such torture. I second Tso 100%. Go to a DE for your CFI-I and MEI practicals.

Last edited:
An 8 hour oral? Good grief, I took mine with the FAA and it was only an hour and twenty minutes! Guess it's just the luck of the draw...

Anyway, congratulations...take a couple of days off and then start pounding the pavement. CFI jobs are out there; you just have to look for them.

Best of luck...

Broken airplane

My CFI oral was about 7 hours long with an FAA inspector. It wasn't supposed to be, but I had an alternator system failure on the flight in the previous evening. The mtx shop said they would give me a call when it was fixed, so the examiner pushed the oral portion till the call came (4 hrs later). Before we left he says to me that since we were discussing in depth so many things that morning (read - got offtrack), he still needed to cover a few things to finish up the oral portion when we got back. Off to the airplane we go.
Well, the system failed again while the inspector was doing the runup (which I had to point out to him), so we brought it back into the shop. The mtx shop told us "It'll be done by tomorrow morning", so we met back at the FBO the next day. Of course it wasn't done yet, so the examiner starts in on ANOTHER 3 HOURS or oral exam. :eek:

Moral of the story: don't even start the checkride until you are sure that you AND the a/c are ready and able to complete the ride. Otherwise (as in my case) the examiner thinks they have all the time in the world to probe for deficiency.

Regards,
FlyWest

Latest resources

Back