• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Status
Not open for further replies.
I submit to you the following ficticious sequence of events:

You are in a J-3, no radio, no transponder, and perhaps a very negligible primary target. You are moving at about the same speed as a large hawk in a descent. You are just outside the PHL class B, at the edge of the mode C veil, buzzing around the Pottstown VOR, and perfectly legal. The PHL departure controller doesn't see you, and is vectoring traffic westbound to "direct PTW". Visually, you are a very small target too, and the afternoon sun is blinding to most of the wesbound traffic.

Do you see how this can be a problem, easily corrected by a conscientious GA pilot?

Do you see a possibility of this being more than an inconvenience? I fly small piston singles, too. I feel a duty, every time I fly a small plane, to safely integrate myself using the idea of the Big Picture. Ask Phil Boyer about the pressure on general aviation these days, especially after this guy wanders around in TRF airspace. That's how this thread started. In short, every pilot needs to understand and respect the REALITY of today's airspace system, and act accordingly. Neither one of us OWNS the airspace, but we have to be very careful that we meet in the FBO, and not in the air.

OK?

Last edited:
Those of you (low time /inexperienced) who study the regulations and feel you can recite them verbatim and think if you stay within the letter of the law that you are operating safely have a rude awakening coming. Yes, we all must share the skies. Most of us started out in "bugsmashers" too. If you can't apply reason and decision making skills to the regulations and apply them to the real world, you would do us all a big favor to stay on the ground. Organizations like AOPA have worked real hard to keep the regulations we do have in check and not to be too overbearing on general aviation. Yahoos who think they have a right to mix it up with heavy iron and fast jets (who make a bigger economic impact than a C-182) just because it is legal will find one day that because some idiot violated restricted airspace because he thought he was a 100' outside of it that a new reg. gets passed and restricts those aircraft from ever flying above 10,000'. Just because a regulation says its so doesn't mean its safe. Under Part 91 you can take off in your legally equipped C-182 in 0/0 all day long. When you come crashing down on my house and hurt my family, you better already be dead.

Timebuilder said:
I submit to you the following ficticious sequence of events:

You are in a J-3, no radio, no transponder, and perhaps a very negligible primary target.......

Be realistic, how many J-3 cubs have you run into at 10,000 MSL? This post started out talking about a 182, that was squawking code. And we had some jet jock telling all us loser GA pilots to kindly get the hell out of his airspace. That my friend is just plane old BULLSPIT.

I doubt very seriously you will find many NORDO planes up at 10K, putting you in danger.

cvsfly said:
Those of you (low time /inexperienced) who study the regulations and feel you can recite them verbatim and think if you stay within the letter of the law that you are operating safely have a rude awakening coming.

Yahoos who think they have a right to mix it up with heavy iron and fast jets (who make a bigger economic impact than a C-182) just because it is legal.........

Man, talk about your hot shot jet jock A$$HOLE. I rest my case.

I have as much right to that airspace as you jerk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Back