Cessna 340A

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

lr23sic

Does anybody have the flying profiles for a Cessna 340? IE Power settings for ILS and Fuel burns for flight planning. We have a 340a and are putting on our 135 ticket and need to find out as much info as possible. I have been flying Jets and all those levers in the 340 scare me :)... Thanks ahead for any input..

Tom

PS any web sites are good for the 340???

Can't help with exact power settings,
but here's the speed profile:

Vectors to final: 150ish KTS

Leave the props at 2300 rpm and mixtures leaned unless you go around.

Flaps 15 when 1-3 NM from FAF depending on personal tastes or phases of the moon if superstitious.

Gear down just prior to the FAF, fly at 120 KTS.

Don't bother wilth flaps 35 unless you really think it will help. Helps a little on short runways.

The more levers, the better a pilot you probably are, right? :D

Inspector Gadget

100LL... Again! said:
The more levers, the better a pilot you probably are, right? :D

Levers, switches, buttons, bells & whistles....

Gimme Gadgets! :D

Go go Gadget Arms! :cool:

2300 rpm sounds good for cruise. As far as power settings go, it's been too long since I flew it, and I didn't get more than a handful of hours in it. Just kinda remember the speeds. Sorry.

My mechanic is a pilot also- used to fly a 340 for a company and maintain it- I remember his saying that you can't be a throttle jockey- (shock cooling) on a 340. gradual power changes are needed- If you need more specific info pm me- I'll put you guys in touch with one another.

It's all about CHTs

310 said:
- I remember his saying that you can't be a throttle jockey- (shock cooling) on a 340. gradual power changes are needed-

Planning ahead and knowing how to control temps with mixture.

Deakin has already written about it Here

c340

100ll,
is right. but do you have the 285hp or the ram 6or 7 conversion? cruise 23" 23-2400 rpm. on decent every 1000' reduce power 1-2" mp. do you have the fcu (fuel control unit)? IF so fcu will adjust the fuel in a climb & desent. the 340 is the same as the older 414 except the 340 is liter and smaller. the ram conversion plans is a kick but plan. fuel burn is about 34/hr cruise 50 climb.

Here's how we run ours:
Takeoff, props forward 2700 max, mix forward, 35-36"
Climb, 31.5" props 2500 (top of green), mixtures rich except to tweak flows, 120 KIAS for a good cruise climb.
Cruise, 28", 2350 rpm, fuel flow 18-19gph each side, around 140 KIAS
Power reductions, 1"/minute, this is probably very conservative.
ILS and visual approach, 22", props left at cruise, mixtures at cruise unless go-around. Speed about 120 KIAS, 100 or so over the numbers (ours has VG's).
Flight plans for fuel burn at 40 gph and 185 true work pretty close for most flights.
You're right, the levers keep you busy, at least there's no carb heats! And, get ready, those Conti's are a bitch to start hot after a quick stop. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back