Cessna 310 Aerial Survey Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

johnt1969

I'm posting this for a friend. Please use the contact information below for questions about the position. I have no details other than what is posted here.

Thanks,
John

Cessna 310 Aerial Survey Pilots

Company:
Global Data Aviation

Location: Company based at FFC (south of Atlanta, Ga). Pilots do not need to live in the area.

Required Travel: Extensive travel required

Job Type: Contract pilot.

Description: Pilots needed for growing aerial surveying company based just south of Atlanta, Ga. Job requires extensive travel to all parts of the United States as well as some travel out of the country. Pilot must be able to operate the Cessna 310 (as well as other Single and Multi-Engine Aircraft) in a single pilot setting and fly precise lines for the mapping equipment. It is also necessary to be able to get along with co-workers, FSS, and ATC. Flexibility and adaptability to changes are a part of the job and must be handled with ease. Previous Aerial Surveying experience is preferred but not necessarily required.

Requirements: Fixed Wing Commercial Multi-Engine Rating. Instrument rating and IFR Current.
Minimum open insurance requirements: 1500 TT/750 ME/25 Make and Model

Preferred Response Method: Please send a resume or list of experience with your contact information to
[email protected]. After emailing the resume please follow up with a phone call to 404-403-2031

I know you said no questions, but if someone finds out the pay please let us know.

I now have more info on this job if anyone is interested in hearing more PM me.

This is one of those jobs that can strain relationships because you are on the road for 3 weeks at a time, and, based on the published mins, it is not the place for the tired CFI to wait before "stepping up" to an RJ.

It's a different type of flying. It's better than others, like ones that are 90 on, 30 off, but you get to work on your tan. Problem: folks are shooting at you.

I don't really know what to say in response to that post deadstick, besides your way off the mark with everything except for the schedule. Aerial mapping is not the type of flying that someone that wants to fly a RJ should get into, unless they are with a operator that hires low time into cessna 172s (northern states, landcare, etc.) to built time. The pay is three to four fold that of a starting CRJ FO, and its like that for a reason. People shooting at you? I don't know where you got that from, nor do I know what to say in response to it without being rude. The schedule at most mapping companies is somewhere around 20 on 10 off. Sure, twenty on is a long time, but then again 10 off is also a long time off. The way I look at it with a 4 on 3 off schedules (typical regional schedule) you never really get any time off, especially commuting (I'd know, I've done it). You end up with 6 on 1 off with a commute. In this business you get paid to commute, and you can live anywhere. The ten days are all yours and if you want to work more usually the work is there and you can make even more money.

I don't really know what to say in response to that post deadstick, besides your way off the mark with everything except for the schedule. Aerial mapping is not the type of flying that someone that wants to fly a RJ should get into, unless they are with a operator that hires low time into cessna 172s (northern states, landcare, etc.) to built time. The pay is three to four fold that of a starting CRJ FO, and its like that for a reason. People shooting at you? I don't know where you got that from, nor do I know what to say in response to it without being rude. The schedule at most mapping companies is somewhere around 20 on 10 off. Sure, twenty on is a long time, but then again 10 off is also a long time off. The way I look at it with a 4 on 3 off schedules (typical regional schedule) you never really get any time off, especially commuting (I'd know, I've done it). You end up with 6 on 1 off with a commute. In this business you get paid to commute, and you can live anywhere. The ten days are all yours and if you want to work more usually the work is there and you can make even more money.
I did that for while in a 206. Video monitor in the right seat to track the flight lines. (before GPS) Extremely tight parameters for heading and alt. No a/p.
Hardest freakin' job I ever had. My hats off to you.
You said the pay is 3x-4x a regional f/os. Mind if I ask a range? Do you get commercialed back home for your ten days?
Thanks.

I did that for while in a 206. Video monitor in the right seat to track the flight lines. (before GPS) Extremely tight parameters for heading and alt. No a/p.
Hardest freakin' job I ever had. My hats off to you.
You said the pay is 3x-4x a regional f/os. Mind if I ask a range? Do you get commercialed back home for your ten days?
Thanks.

GPS changes everything. You need to stay on the line within 5 meters and not be in any type of bank or be yawed when the camera fires. 60-80k a year depending on how much you want to be home (some places pay more than this, while others pay less) You get commercial tickets to and from work, and all expenses paid while on the road except food at most companies. I'm sure other people have had different experiences .

Did anyone shoot at you? Still trying to figure out where he got that from.

Depends on what kind of flying you do too. For example, DMC is a 50 meter tolerance either side, LIDAR is 25 meters. Once you get the hang of it, it is really not that bad. You get in a zone and pretty soon you're able to stay on the line within 5 meters no sweat. In any case, you just got to get it in your head when you're starting the plane up that you're going to be up in the air for 4 or 5 hours. The flying is also dependant on the weather so you might spend a week sitting around waiting for it to clear up or you might be flying for a week straight wanting it to cloud up.

It's a different type of flying. It's better than others, like ones that are 90 on, 30 off, but you get to work on your tan. Problem: folks are shooting at you.

I spoke with deadstick, and he has spoken to some guys that are over in Iraq doing mapping. I can understand the post now. God bless those guys, but that is not what this job is all about. If people start shooting at me, something has gone terribly wrong.

GPS changes everything. You need to stay on the line within 5 meters and not be in any type of bank or be yawed when the camera fires.
Yeah, that big-ass camera rotated to correct for the wind drift. First pass was to get an idea of how much heading correction it took to maintain the track, then I manually adjusted the camera.
Man, I'll bet I wasted a lot of film!

Latest resources

Back