• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Cessna 303 Crusader

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I did my entire multi-engine training in the C303 at Riddle back in 1995, and I haven't flown one since. From what I remember, it's a nice cabin-class piston twin. Good flying qualities (especially climbout) when both engines are turning, but a real handful when it comes to one engine out (real or simulated) as it requires a lot of rudder and stick work. When landing with one engine out, carry lots of power until you're nearly over the runway, otherwise it'll drop like a rock.

Not sure if this applies fleetwide or was just applicable to Riddle's 303s, but the engines weren't that reliable (I aborted many takeoffs due to lower-than-acceptable manifold pressure readings) and the airplanes were corroding like crazy--mainly in the tail section. Also, reliability was a problem--it was a good day if two of the five 303s that Riddle had were in service. This is why they got rid of the 303s in favor of new Piper Seminoles.

If you need any performance or specs, I'd be happy to look them up for you in my C303 POH on my shelf...

I also did my multi in the 303 back in '93. I beleive the powerplants were the TSIO-520 but were de-rated to a lower horsepower. For a light twin, its a roomy airplane but I seem to remeber that you could either carry gas or people and not a large combo of both. I never had any maintaince problems with the thing and it flew just like all other Cessna products. I know Cessna did make to many of them becuase they did not sell very well. That is why Riddle got them and I understand it was a sweetheart deal. There was a big right up about the Crusader in AOPA mag back in about '92. If you can find a back issue it will tell you everything you want to know about that a/c.

cynic said:
Who has flown one? Tell me about em...
A buddy of mine in green bay owns one. He uses it for business. He likes it, but on one side of the plane he was on his third engine and the plane only had about 1,300 TT on it. I believe it was the side that counter rotated...things that make you say hmmmmmm?

Also, before you say that his short engine life was due to the plane being "owner flown"...keep in mind that this guy was a commercial pilot who had extensive charter flying experience. He got out of flying to take on a new career and before you know it, he starts his own machine building business and is successful at it. I should look him up and see if he needs another flying mechanic...for the right bucks it could be the delio for me.

Last edited:
Way back in the late 80's the 135 outfit I worked for had a Crusader, and many of us got our first MEL time in it.

But it went through engines like others went through oil filters. And the other poster is correct - losing or caging one engine made for a very interesting workload and serious drymouth.

Also had an avionics fan up front that sounded like someone was running a grinder!

I did my ME COMM in one. Great airplane from my perspective. I only accrued 80 hours in it though because the Chief Instructor at the FBO refused to rent it to me after a couple of guys I worked with got drunk, picked up some babes on the 4th of July, and spun it in killing all 5 of them. I didn't even know the guys, so now my logbook is in 2 pieces after I launched it at him after he implied I must be dangerous too.....

rchcfi said:
I did my ME COMM in one. Great airplane from my perspective. I only accrued 80 hours in it though because the Chief Instructor at the FBO refused to rent it to me after a couple of guys I worked with got drunk, picked up some babes on the 4th of July, and spun it in killing all 5 of them. I didn't even know the guys, so now my logbook is in 2 pieces after I launched it at him after he implied I must be dangerous too.....

He refused to rent you the plane after it had crashed? I would have to say that is a pretty sensible thing to do. Yes, yes it is quite sensible.

cynic said:
Who has flown one? Tell me about em...
So what's the delio? You buying one or do you have a bunch of T303 Parker 51 time in your log book and are looking for interview gouge?

Latest resources

Back