• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

cessna 210 glide ratio

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Actually, it's not at all like a 172. I don't know what the ratio is but it's closer to that of a rock than a 172

Vg at max wt. is 85KIAS and looks like glide ratio is 3:2 (3000' glide 2 miles).

corytx said:
Vg at max wt. is 85KIAS and looks like glide ratio is 3:2 (3000' glide 2 miles).
Based on your "3:2" glide ratio(BTW, it's expressed in ft forward/(per)ft down normally), descent rate would be in the vicinity of 5000fpm. Not even close. I don't know the exact glide ratio, but I do remember many years ago cruising at 8,000ft, losing power, and making it to an airport about 6-7 miles away, and having a couple thousand feet to burn after reaching the traffic pattern area....and that was after a hard 180 right away to head toward the airport.

peter185 said:
Does anyone know what the approximate glide ratio of a normally aspirated cessna 210 is.
Lots of variables....wing struts or no wing struts? gear up or down? gear doors or no gear doors?

The reason I ask is that I am going to be crossing lake Michigan where it is about 70 miles across, my POH is at the airport and I don't want to drive out there. I am trying to figure out how high I would need to be to succesfully make it to the shore if the engine were to quit (not really interested in swimming).

peter185 said:
The reason I ask is that I am going to be crossing lake Michigan where it is about 70 miles across, my POH is at the airport and I don't want to drive out there. I am trying to figure out how high I would need to be to succesfully make it to the shore if the engine were to quit (not really interested in swimming).
To make it to land from dead center, you would have to be at about....oh...FL280 or higher. Realisitcally, your glide will be 8 or 9 to 1 at ABSOLUTE BEST. That's also with the prop pulled all the way back. A good plan is for every 6,000'(roughly 1NM) of altitude you have, you can glide 7NM. This will vary with your technique and gross weight. If you don't want to take a chance on swimming, don't fly over large bodies of water. If you do, carry the proper gear.

Latest resources

Back