Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cforst513

Giggity giggity goo!!!
i am spoiled, i'll admit it. i fly all new aircraft with GPS and 3-axis autopilot. but my first venture into the real world of flying comes next week. i was looking for places in north carolina to rent and i found a place with a 172N for $75/hr. i tried to do a little research but all i could come up with is that this is essentially a 1970's version of today's 172R model, equipped with a 160hp engine. is this true? anything i should know about this aircraft before i take my family up in it or do all cessna's essentially fly the same?

It'll fly the same. The panel will surprise you a bit depending on how it's equipped. Read up about carbureters and always pull the carb heat when the power is below 1800rpm or so to prevent any carb ice (yes it can happen in the summer).

Oh, and only one fuel drain per wing.

I've got some time in a 1980 172N. It is very similar to the newer 172's. It does not have fuel injection. airspeed is in knots. It flies just like any other 172

its got carb heat

plus the guy doing your check out will tell you what you need to know as long as you ask. as far as stick and rudder......pull go up, push go down

cforst513 said:
... do all cessna's essentially fly the same?
C172R's were certified according to NACO 321.5446 and were therefore required to comply with published standard physical laws effective at date of completion. (I believe DOC was established at the time of assembly of main wing structure to the wing box, but I might be mistaken on that point.)

C172Ns, on the other hand, were granted Waiver of Exceptions (WOES) to 4 published standard physical laws at the DOC. I'm a little fuzzy about which ones, but I seem to recall at least one of them dealt with left turns. In this case the C172N is not certified to turn left according to PSPL. In this case, I believe it was observed to turn more quickly than can be explained by laws of nature, but, again, I may be mistaken. It may be that it turns more slowly. Either way, yo uneed to be prepared for the left turns. It's not that the C172N won't turn left, it's just that the rates can't be explained by the published standard physical laws in existence at that time.

As for the other three PSPL waivers, I don't recall what those issues were. They must have been rather benign, or I might have recalled them. If memory serves, one of them has something to do with the right seat being occupied by a person weighing more than the person in the left, or maybe it was the other way around.

I think you better get a checkout just to be safe.

:)

Full fuel useful load is around 560 pounds, but it only holds 40 gallons as opposed to the new SP and R models' 53.

It has 40 degrees of flaps, so you can land it like an AG cat.

Sweet machine, 75 an hour seems about the norm.

I trained in an N model, but recently switched to the new SP. The things I noticed going to the SP (which you, obviously, have the potential to see "in reverse) were that (since its fuel injected) throttle response was a bit faster and the controls felt more "crisp", probably because the cables on the older aircraft have been streteched a slight bit. Overall, it is a great aircraft and, like everyone else has said, the sight picture and flight profiles vary very little from 172 to 172, IMHO.

Out of curiosity, what have you flown with a three axis auto pilot?

Just get a good check out and you'll be fine. Carb HEAT!

Latest resources

Back