Cessna 172 down in ORL, caught on tape

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
monday morning Qb'ers

The pilot/pilots did not do harm to any non participants . That in itself shows they sacrificed to prevent harm to others . Like was already pointed out a 172 "glider" and a Florida golf course iin January could have been a recipe for disaster . The relatives of these victims should be proud . Some good may come out of this tragedy . God bless them all Vavso

I'm not sure I understand the "leave this guy alone" or "who are you to judge" point of view. Shun political correctness when there are things to be learned.

Yes, someone died and that is very sad. However, what better than a bunch of pilots reviewing a tape and suggest what may have been done better? What a great learning tool.

Even the most perfect sim ride or crash landing can be improved. Hopefully, by reviewing this tape a potential mistake that could have been made would be discovered...maybe it will prevent a death in the future.

I'm not familiar with the geography of the crash site so I can't comment on if there was a better landing site available...however, to me the plane seems like it has an excessive amount of speed. I'd guess 65-75 knots, which is about 20 to 30 knots above stall speed.

Ideally, wouldn't it be better to hit something as slow as possible?

I think that sometimes we are trying to save the aircraft and not thinking in terms of saving the occupants. I know that was the case when I owned an aircraft.

He may have thought he could pull off a street landing with less problems than the golf course. We will never know his thinking. Trying to judge the speed of the aircraft when the pictures are from a moving helicopter is not good science.

Between them, they had 5000 hours, enough to know what they were doing. I have had friends killed before doing what was basically the right thing not pulled off quite right.

I instructed with Dan in Atlanta. I spoke with him not along ago as all of us that taught together have remained very much in touch. I spent many hours flying with Dan and I am extremely saddened by his early departure. He will be missed.

C210

rchcfi said:
I just walked into my hotel room, turned onto CNN, and saw this accident. I feel so bad for the pilot and his family. The thing that really got under my skin was the way the blond byatch newscaster ended the story. After showing the video, it cuts back to her and she says "Not bad for an amateur, I guess." with some sort of smugness. These newscasters need to take a sensitivity training course ASAP! Not to mention, I would like to think ALL pilots are professionals!

RCHCFI

Wonder how she's feeling today? I hope her boss chewed a few lbs off.

Godspeed Dan.

I, too, knew Dan via our fraternity. He had graduated by the time I came through, but good alumni are never forgotten. Godspeed, Dan. My prayers go out to you and your family.

Blue skies forever!

Vavso said:
The pilot/pilots did not do harm to any non participants . That in itself shows they sacrificed to prevent harm to others . Like was already pointed out a 172 "glider" and a Florida golf course iin January could have been a recipe for disaster . The relatives of these victims should be proud . Some good may come out of this tragedy . God bless them all Vavso
Yea, he impailed himself on concrete so that others may live. Sure he did.

I saw the video a couple days ago, this really is a horrible thing to read and view. I have more then likely watched it more then 100 times now thinking about what I would have done in a situation like that, and how hard it must have been to make a life changing decision.

I think he did the best thing he could under the circumstances I saw in the video. If he would have continued down the road many more people could have been injured or killed.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back