Cessna 172 down in ORL, caught on tape

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
RideTheWind said:
Watch the video, it's not Armchair quarterbacking nothing, he passes a huge golfcourse, ever heard of a slip to get down?

I hate to join the ranks of armchair quarterbacks, but this video deserves it. Those guys were just passengers along for a bumpy ride. He bypasses plenty of nice green fairway to spank it into a powerline along a street... I know, I know, I wasn't there to see the whole thing and shouldn't comment prematurely, but like others have posted, a bit of airmanship with some stick and rudder skills would've put that thing onto a fairway instead of head-on into a power pole... sad.

Last edited:
EagleRJ said:
[thread drift]
Anyone ever hear of using a violent fishtailing maneuver to scrub off excess speed during a forced landing? Full cross-controlled rudder and ailerons create a lot of drag and let you slow down quickly if you are overshooting your landing spot. I wonder if anyone has tried it in real life?

Dude, what do you think I meant when I said slip it in, slip is full rudder and point the nose down, it will work a lot better than fish tailing because you keep the side of the plane in the relative wind instead of changing sides in a fishtail.

MKaprocki said:
It's not on the site yet, but I heard on the news that the pilot died due to head injuries.:(

ya its up on the site now

god bless

For all you super pilots that like to sit back and make judgements about what happened, you ought to think before you type away with your brilliant insights. The flight instructor whom died was my best friend, my college roommate and fraternity brother.

I know he did what he could to save others from his fate, what we all hope to do in situations like these that ride the fine line between life and death. He will be missed. Godspeed, Dan.

Tailwinds...

Just heard on the news that one of the pilots died. Had something like 3000+ hrs, the other pilot in the 1500 area.

Also hearing conflicting reports that the engine failed between 2000 and 3000 feet. This is truely a tragidy to see this happen with experienced pilots from such a managable altitude. We all need to practice this basic level of emergency prepardness to avoid repeating these mistakes.

Our thoughts and prayer to the other pilot for a speedy and full recovery. And our thoughts and prayers the the family and friends for the deceased pilot.

Latest resources

Back