Cessna 172 down in ORL, caught on tape

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Did everybody survive?

Armchair quarterbacking: Should have slipped the plane to get in down and stopped a little quicker.

jesus

passed up a perfect runway on the right, several fairways go by in the video

a good instructional video of how not to do a forced landing, full rudder and nose down and he couldv'e made the golf course.

Last edited:
RideTheWind said:
passed up a perfect runway on the right, several fairways go by in the video

Armchair quarterbacking at its finest! :rolleyes:

There were only minor injuries. Any landing you can walk away from....

EagleRJ said:
Armchair quarterbacking at its finest! :rolleyes:

There were only minor injuries. Any landing you can walk away from....

Watch the video, it's not Armchair quarterbacking nothing, he passes a huge golfcourse, ever heard of a slip to get down?

RideTheWind said:
Watch the video, it's not Armchair quarterbacking nothing, he passes a huge golfcourse, ever heard of a slip to get down?

Yes, I saw the golfcourse. I'm sure he was trying to land there, but had too much speed or overshot his turn. It's not unheard of for pilots not to be at their best performance level when they're dealing with the stress of an engine failure.

I've thought about landing on a golfcourse many times when I've been out golfing. There's not as much room as you might think. Think about a 400 yard hole with a 300 yard straight fairway. That's 900' of grass, with 50' trees hard up against both ends. That's a tricky strip to get a Cessna into normally, let alone deadstick! It beats the houses and crowded streets nearby though.

[thread drift]
Anyone ever hear of using a violent fishtailing maneuver to scrub off excess speed during a forced landing? Full cross-controlled rudder and ailerons create a lot of drag and let you slow down quickly if you are overshooting your landing spot. I wonder if anyone has tried it in real life?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back