Central Air Southwest Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Single Pilot or F/O - PFT?

Single Pilot or F/O that PFT? Is the contract for a year, also how much is it?

Single Pilot or F/O that PFT? Is the contract for a year, also how much is it?

They're advertising for captains, not the PFT stuff. Looks like they're desperate as they say they want to hire 4 people in the next couple days. I'd absolutely love to go there, but the $1700/month for the first 6 months is a game breaker for me. I make more now flying a 172.

Go to Flight Express and make $1680 every two weeks. Granted, that's if you're working a 14 hour day, but with the recent raise, the money is not bad (for an entry level 135 job.) Yes, the upgrade to a twin is running about a year right now (it should come down to about 8 if they can staff the 210s), there are no travel bennies, no GPS, and the baron is as upgraded as you're going to get (no lears). On the other hand, if you demonstrate that you're able and willing to do the job, the company does its best to take care of you and if it's money that's keeping you away from 135, you can't beat the pay. I've been here over a year now, and it's the first time since I got in to aviation that I haven't had to look over my shoulder for the creditors. On balance, it's been a very positive experience.

P.S. No contract, but a $1000 bonus when you finish training. You only give it back if you quit before 6 months.

Last edited:
They're advertising for captains, not the PFT stuff. Looks like they're desperate as they say they want to hire 4 people in the next couple days. I'd absolutely love to go there, but the $1700/month for the first 6 months is a game breaker for me. I make more now flying a 172.

As a former CASW pilot, I'd have to recommend them. $1700/mo isn't much, but consider last year when I was there it was only $1500/mo for the first 6 months. At least the pay's up a little bit. If my wife wasn't working, then we couldn't have done it. If you can find a roomie somewhere to split rent with, or can mooch off of your parents, give them a shot.

Every 135 company I've worked for has its Pros and Cons, and CASW has some of both, but you can't beat the kind of time you'll get there. The planes are old, but they take good care of them and they're built like tanks. No autopilot, no HSI, no ADF, but they do have VFR GPS. On average I was getting 80-100 hours per month. I put in my time there and got out into a nice job. I was treated pretty well when I was there, but got yanked around quite a bit at the end. If you go there, go with the understanding that you may be moved around to cover other runs in other cities if they get short-handed. They pay expenses, etc..., but you might find yourself stuck somewhere for a while, living out of a suitcase. ;)

Central Air Southwest is a great place to get your time. You can get over 1,000 hours a year all multi. Generaly the people were good. Do your job, stay for the contract, and give your 2 weeks and you should leave with a good recomendation. You start in an old but well maintained twin that performs great for a piston twin. The avionics are basic, and all the aircraft have the same package. You do get a VFR GPS, stormscope, and they have TKS know ice. They will not give you a base until training ends. As far as the pay plan on $1,700.00 the whole time you are there. When probation ends you probably will get a little more depending on the run(s) that you do. But most pilots do not make the 2,000-2,300 that they advertise.

As a former CASW pilot, I'd have to recommend them. $1700/mo isn't much, but consider last year when I was there it was only $1500/mo for the first 6 months. At least the pay's up a little bit. If my wife wasn't working, then we couldn't have done it. If you can find a roomie somewhere to split rent with, or can mooch off of your parents, give them a shot.

Every 135 company I've worked for has its Pros and Cons, and CASW has some of both, but you can't beat the kind of time you'll get there. The planes are old, but they take good care of them and they're built like tanks. No autopilot, no HSI, no ADF, but they do have VFR GPS. On average I was getting 80-100 hours per month. I put in my time there and got out into a nice job. I was treated pretty well when I was there, but got yanked around quite a bit at the end. If you go there, go with the understanding that you may be moved around to cover other runs in other cities if they get short-handed. They pay expenses, etc..., but you might find yourself stuck somewhere for a while, living out of a suitcase. ;)

Yeah they pay's gone up that's true. I just can't do $1700/month. Right now I'm lucky and don't have an apartment, car's paid off, etc. I'm always on the road for the job, which is pretty awesome getting to see different places. Bottom line is, I can live pretty well on $1800/month right now, but going down $100/month AND adding an apartment/electricity etc. would probably break me. I've been able to pay off a bunch of credit card debt and get my credit score out of the 500's finally. I never want to go back to where I was. On the flipside, as I've stated before, I would love to go fly the Commander. Plus the company sounds like a pretty good one from what everyone has told me. I could definitely use the multi time. Another 800 per month and I'd definitely go to them for my first 135 job. Just the way things are.

Also, what is this HSI and autopilot that you speak of? Never heard of 'em ;)

do a search, you'll find lots

Cas

Thanks guys for the reples.
I was also trying to find out about the bases they have open currently.
I have done the reseach on the past thread, but didn't fine the information I was looking for, anyways thanks for the reples.
It looks like the pay is not all that good and that airplane are old. It seems like most Cargo companies have old planes, and most aren't paying all that well.

DR

Latest resources

Back