• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Cell phones on planes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Whether there's a possibility of interference or not, it is still illegal to use them.

Every so often, we get people on the aircraft that not only use their phones during flight, they also refuse to turn them off when told to and occasionally get abusive to the FAs, which now becomes interfering with the duties of a flight crewmember. What is wrong with people?

How hard is it to get on a friggin airplane, sit there and follow the rules for a few hours?

I am also dreading the day when cell phone use is allowed on the aircraft.

It's not bad enough already, stuck between 2 "customers of size", with the kid behind you kicking the seat, and the guy in front of you reclined so you can count his dandruff flakes, now you get to hear half of all of their cell phone conversations...... I'll sit in the jumpseat.....

Cell phones are incredibly useful tools, but, much like cars or firearms, many people are too stupid to use them responsibly.

On the basis of annoying people, what is the difference between the seat back phone and a cell? Only the price it takes to use it. I have not heard of anybody on this board complain about seat back phones yet.......

troy said:
On the basis of annoying people, what is the difference between the seat back phone and a cell? Only the price it takes to use it. I have not heard of anybody on this board complain about seat back phones yet.......

In all of my years deadheading and commuting, I can count on one hand the number of times I've ever seen anyone even USE one, much less spend the entire flight discussing imnportant things such as who likes who etc....... I assume that cost to use was the issue, which is moot with cell phones....

People are inconsiderate to begin with..... Cell phones have made it far worse. Movies, trains, restaurants etc. Wherever you go nowadays, all you hear is:

"uh huh.......yeah......... why don't you try clairol instead....... ummm ok, yeah.... did you hear that suzy slept with joe.......... my clap test came back positive, should I tell joe?....... wow, suzy's gonna be pissed..........."

..... it never ends......

Last edited:
troy said:

Good point, but does anyone actually use those? I know I have never seen it happen.

I heard the only known interference was with the anti-skid operation. But I was hoping to hear it again here, cause I don't beleive it. I think T-Mobile, Cingular, and Nextel, which I beleive are all GSM, will cause interference.

Good Morning Everyone

I've never used one on a commercial flight, b/c rules are rules, and quite honestly....having 100+ people yacking on their cell phones would be irritating.

But when I'm flying myself I use it and have never had interference whatsoever with headsets, nav/coms/gps/anything.

When I flew a Bonanza down in the 10-12,000 levels, I used it quite often, unless I was IFR.

I even have the adapter to use my phone through my headset, although it doesn't get used that often anymore since I got my C340.

At altitude, I usually don't have reception, don't want to miss a call (almost always fly IFR now), and when I come down....I'm too busy to use it.

I think the guys at FLOPS can testify to this that the blueberries DO interfere with the com's most of the time. We don't turn them on in flight or anything, but when on the ground taxiing in and wondering what were doing next, those things really make the coms scream.

learflyer,

Please excuse my ignorance.

What's a "blueberry"? Is it a "blackberry" you're referring to?

yeah, it's just a blackberry that is blue instead of Black. Our company uses both versions, using two different cell carriers so there is technically always someone with reception.

Latest resources

Back