• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Iceman21

Moving on up - someday
Cell Phones and their companies

Since I will be doing an inordianate (sp?) amount of flying this summer, I am preparing myself for all the odd emergencies that come up when you are a CFI. So I decided that I need to pick up a cell phone.

However, I have crappy credit as of now and I most likely would need a deposit to open an account with anyone.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to go about doing this and what companies you guys recommend?

I would like to get Nextel but they seem expensive and strict about their accounts. I have had AT&T, but I get crappy signals in Chicago here. Those are the two companies I have had experience with, and I would like to hear some stories about other companies good or bad.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I think Sprint has a max limit of $250 for a deposit if your credit is not the best. I use Sprint and haven't had problem with digital service in any of the decent sized cities or along highways. Don't expect to get coverage in those tiny cities out in the middle of nowhere though. I've heard that Veriozon also has very good coverage, but I don't have any personal experience with them. Rumor has it that Nextel will be losing their exclusive rights to their direct connect (walkie talkie) feature this summer. If you can wait a couple months you may be able to get this service with other cell phone companies. Just a thought if that is something that you might be interested in.

try at&t's go phone. No contract and you reup every month. Very very good rates.

I've had sprint, verizon, and t-mobile phones. I had to get rid of sprint because they would never work anywhere around where i lived or worked and this was chicago! I finally got rid of them when i was in the middle of bumfuq missouri about an hour away from the nearest good size town (kirksville) and that was the only place i could get anywhere near a full signal. I've heard they have gotten better in the past few years though. Never had a problem with verizon or t-mobile though.

I like sprint. Not too expensive, and so far I've only found one airport (Rochelle) where the PCS signal wasn't there, but switching to cellular still worked fine.

T-Mobile rocks for me.

Iceman,

I've been with T-Mobile for about five years now and when I first signed up my credit was shakey at best. I got the phone as a birthday present and I was a little concerned that I wouldn't be able to get an account, but when I went in to one of there stores, they signed me up on the spot. As a matter of fact the agent told me she could give me as many as four phones! Why I would need that many was beyond me so I declined and went with just the one.

I can't vouch if they are still as generous but you might give it a shot. I get great coverage (boondocks are still a problem from time to time) and my experience with their customer service has been very top notch. I have heard a couple of horror stories that would say otherwise but I think that would happen with any cell company.

Just my two cents, YMMV.

Latest resources

Back