• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Ce750 Job, Type Rating Required

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You Raw Dog, that was too funny! You are right though, seems like you get over 55-56 and the technology is a boat anchor, cause they don't need that new fangled jigga-mu-call-it to tell them where they are going. The best is when you show one of those old coots something it can do and 1 of 3 things happen: They get pissed off cause they and their egos think you are trying to show them how to fly. (2) They want to make it 10Xs harder than it is cause they have been doing it "their way" (you know, the right way) all this time, or (3) they simply don't trust it, fumble with it until they confuse themselves and lock it up, then won't use it casue it is locked up now and broke. I agree with an above post, at 60, your time has come and gone, you are not sharp anymore, and your decision making capacity is greatly deminished, so move aside on your own so you don't get run off. Let the younger guys in there to clean up tired 30 year old department policies, bring innovation and technology to the department, and smooth out the flying (No more Wally slamming back the power levers to Flt Idle and pitching the nose down 20 degrees to begin a decent out of cruise).
Gulfstream 200 said:
Then who is going to teach the old farts how to fumble through the technology?

2 geriatrics in a G550/Glex/EASY...talk about underutilization.

"back when I flew the Grumman 2"....

(adjusts hearing aid)

"huh, Whatcha say wally?"

;)

Last edited:
noo you don't really believe that do you?

HawkerF/O said:
You Raw Dog, that was too funny! You are right though, seems like you get over 55-56 and the technology is a boat anchor, cause they don't need that new fangled jigga-mu-call-it to tell them where they are going. The best is when you show one of those old coots something it can do and 1 of 3 things happen: They get pissed off cause they and their egos think you are trying to show them how to fly. (2) They want to make it 10Xs harder than it is cause they have been doing it "their way" (you know, the right way) all this time, or (3) they simply don't trust it, fumble with it until they confuse themselves and lock it up, then won't use it casue it is locked up now and broke. I agree with an above post, at 60, your time has come and gone, you are not sharp anymore, and your decision making capacity is greatly deminished, so move aside on your own so you don't get run off. Let the younger guys in there to clean up tired 30 year old department policies, bring innovation and technology to the department, and smooth out the flying (No more Wally slamming back the power levers to Flt Idle and pitching the nose down 20 degrees to begin a decent out of cruise).

Amazingly arrogant and inaccurate post. Who do you think is developing all that technology for you? The test pilot that designed Gulfstream's version of PlaneView and placed every symbol and word on the displays is 60 years old. John designed and implemented the entire cockpit automation suite and did the required test flights for integration and certification. John's deputy on this project is 56. The age range for the Project Pilots, responsible for development and certification of the Gulfstream line of aircraft, is 50 to 60 years old. The age range for the test pilots developing the successive software certifications for PlaneView and the FMS is 50 to 64.

Are you suggesting that these pilots that are developing the the cutting edge technology used in Gulfstream aircraft need you to show them how to use it?

GV

GV

GVFlyer said:
Amazingly arrogant and inaccurate post. Who do you think is developing all that technology for you? The test pilot that designed Gulfstream's version of PlaneView and placed every symbol and word on the displays is 60 years old. John designed and implemented the entire cockpit automation suite and did the required test flights for integration and certification. John's deputy on this project is 56. The age range for the Project Pilots, responsible for development and certification of the Gulfstream line of aircraft, is 50 to 60 years old. The age range for the test pilots developing the successive software certifications for PlaneView and the FMS is 50 to 64.

Are you suggesting that these pilots that are developing the the cutting edge technology used in Gulfstream aircraft need you to show them how to use it?

GV

GV

You S.O.B.

You finally say something I agree with and I'm leaving on a trip now and will have to wait a week to find out what happened. :)

I hate you. ;)

Keep up the good work. If they give you any trouble, take out a knee cap.

(just kidding about the "hate you" part)

empenage said:
You S.O.B.

You finally say something I agree with and I'm leaving on a trip now and will have to wait a week to find out what happened. :)

You know what they say, "Even a blind pig occasionally finds an acorn."

Have a good trip, amigo.

GV

empenage said:
You S.O.B.

...don't they have internets where you goin? :erm:

I flew with a 72 year old captain last year!

He was a good guy, great stick, but it funny how as soon as we hit cruise and he gave me the plane (I was new on the plane so wasnt taking off much yet), he would instantly fall asleep like Abraham simpson and sleep for quite awhile.

semperfido said:
yeah ,that g550 is just eating me alive. huds, enhanced vision, vertical directs, mau's,dau, nicprocs -it just goes on and on and on and on and on and on....what were we talking about? :pimp:

Fido, many of the senior guys out here are flying cutting edge equipment like the GV & BBD-700 etc., but you have to remember that many of the 121 Captains I flew with spent the better part of their careers on standard analog instrumentation (no FMS, no HUD, nada).

The majority made it through the transition just fine, but there were a few that made the experience "memorable" to say the least. For the record ... we had our share of young guys that had difficulty with the systems as well. At 41, I guess they consider me an old guy too :)

this whole thread is sorta lame as there will always be 10% of any group that just doesn't get it. it has nothing to do with age. for every 10 so -called young guys that bitch about old farts there are 10 seniors that will bitch about young farts. the 10% rule always seems to work. :)

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back